Bleddfa is a parish in the county of Radnorshire, Wales
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin: 1608
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist
Parishes adjacen to Bleddfa
- Llanfihangel Rhydieithon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BLEDDFA, or Blethvaugh, a parish in Knighton district, Radnor; on the river Lug and in Radnor forest, 5 miles SW of Knighton r. station Post Town, Knighton, Radnorshire. Acres, 2,740. Real property, £2,473. Pop, 250. Houses, 46. The surface is hilly, and to a considerable extent waste. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David’s. Value, £181. Patron, the Bishop of St. David’s. The church is tolerable.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer 1851
Bledd-Fa, or Blethvaugh, a parish in the hund. of Kevenlleece, union of Knighton, county of Radnor, South Wales, in the forest of the same name; 6 miles south-west by south of Knighton. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Brecon and dio. of St. David’s; valued at £10 12s. 3d., and in the parliamentary returns at £150; gross income £190; in the patronage of the bishop of St. David’s. There is a daily school in this parish. Pop., in 1801, 201 ; in 1831, 233. Houses 41. A. P. £1,171. Poor rates, in 1837, £188.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1842
Blethva (Bleddva), a parish, in the union of Knighton, partly in the hundred of Kevenlleece, and partly in that of Knighton, county of Radnor, South Wales, 6½ miles (W. S. W.) from Knighton; containing 233 inhabitants. This parish is situated within the boundaries of the forest of Blethva, and near the river Lug, and is intersected by the high roads from Knighton in this county, and from Builth, in the county of Brecknock, to Newtown in Montgomeryshire. Its aspect is barren and uninviting: a great part of it being little better than a dreary unproductive waste. Agriculture is here in a rude state; the mountains, however, afford pasturage for large flocks of sheep. The petty sessions for the hundred are occasionally held here. The living is a rectory, rated in the king’s books at £10. 12. 1.; present net income, £181; patron, Bishop of St. David’s. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a large structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, but without any claim to architectural notice. In this parish is a day school of about 20 children of both sexes, who are instructed at the expense of their parents. The total expenditure of the parochial rates for the year ending March 25th, 1837, amounted to £189, of which £137 was for the relief of the poor, and £52 towards county rates.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 87, Hatton Garden. MDCCCXLII.
Photographs of Bleddfa
Family History Links
- County: Radnorshire / Powys
- Civil Registration District:
- Diocese: St. David
- Rural Deanery: Melineth Sub-ithon
- Poor Law Union: Knighton
- Hundred: Cefnllys and Knighton
- Province: Canterbury
- Petty Sessional Division: Knighton
- Couty court District: Knighton