Lydbury North, Shropshire Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Other places included in the parish: Acton, Brockton, Choulton, Eaton, Eaton and Choulton, Eyton, Eyton and Plowden, Howden, Lower Down, Totterton

Alternative names: North Lydbury

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1563
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660

Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic

Parishes adjacent to Lydbury North

Historical Descriptions

Lydbury North

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LYDBURY (NORTH), a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Clun district, Salop. The village stands near the Bishops-Castle railway, 2¾ miles SE of Bishops Castle; and has a post office under Shrewsbury. The parish contains also the townships of Acton, Brockton, Lower Down, Eaton, Choulton, Eyton, Plowden, and Totterton. Acres, 7,520. Real property, £9,706. Pop. in 1851, 964; in 1861, 1,025. Houses, 191. The-property is chiefly divided among four. The manor belongs to the Earl of Powis and W. Plowden, Esq. Walcot Park is the seat of the Earl of Powis; and contains many Indian products brought hither by Lord Clive, and some good paintings. Plowden Hall is the seat of W. Plowden, Esq.; and was the residence of Plowden, the author of the “Commentaries.” Totterton Hall is a handsome mansion. A castellated seat of the bishops of Hereford was here in the time of Henry III. Traces of an ancient British camp are in Lower Down. Building stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Norbury, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £660. Patrons, the Representatives of the late Rev. J. B. Bright. The church is ancient; has undergone modern improvements; and includes an ancient chapel, with stone altar, and ancient oak candlesticks. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a free library, a parochial free school, an endowed school with £11 a year, and charities £38. The sub-district contains also two other parishes and three extra-parochial tracts. Acres, 13,412. Pop., 1,903. Houses, 378.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Lydbury North. A parish in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow, a rectory, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Clun, and archdeaconry of Salop. 139 houses, 822 inhabitants. 3 miles south-east of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Acton and Down

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Acton, 2½ miles S.W. and included in North-Lydbury.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Acton and Down. A township in the parish of Lydbury North, and in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Brockton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Brockton. A township in the parish of Lydbury North, and in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow. 2 ¼ miles south of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Choulton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Choulton or Chealton. Part of a township in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow, and in the parish of Lydbury North. 3 ½ miles east of Bishopscastle. See Eaton and Chealton

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Eaton and Chealton

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Eaton and Chealton. A township in the parish of Lydbury, North, and in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow. 3 ½ miles east of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Eyton and Plowden

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Eyton and Plowden, a township in North Lydbury parish, Salop; 3 ¼ miles ENE of Bishops-Castle. Pop., 591.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Eyton. A township in the parish of Lydbury North, and in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow. 3 miles south-east of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Eaton; or Eyton and Plowden. A township in the parish of Lydbury, North, and in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow. 3 miles south-east by east of Bishopscastle.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Plowden

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Plowden. A township in the parish of Lydbury North, and in the Bishopscastle division of the hundred of Purslow. 3 ½ miles south-east by east of Bishopscastle

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Registers

The Register of St. Francis, Plowden (Roman Catholic) 1826-1837

Shropshire parish registers : Nonconformist and Roman Catholic registers (1903)

Author: Shropshire Parish Register Society; Evans, George Eyre; Fletcher, W. G. D. (William George Dimock), 1851-1935; Kinsella, William

Publisher: [London] : Privately printed for the Shropshire Parish Register Society.

The Register of St. Francis, Plowden (Roman Catholic) 1826-1837 – Archive.org

Poll Books

Lydbury North, Poll Book 1865

Directories

Lydbury North Cassey Shropshire Directory 1871

Family History Links

Parish Registers

Census Returns (1841-1901)

Monumental Inscriptions (1667-1949)

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Clun
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Clun
  • Poor Law Union: Clun
  • Hundred: Purslow
  • Province: Canterbury
Advertisements