Leighton Shropshire Family History Guide



Status: Ancient Parish

Other places in the parish include: Garmston

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1661
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1631

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Leighton

Historical Descriptions

Leighton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LEIGHTON, a village and a parish in Atcham district, Salop. The village stands on the river Severn, near the Severn Valley railway, between Buildwas and Cressage stations, 3½ miles N by W of Much-Wenlock; and has a post office under Wellington, Salop. The parish comprises 2,151 acres. Real property, £2,289. Pop., 340. Houses, 63. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to R. Gardner, Esq. Leighton Hall is a chief residence. The Wrekin, forming a grand feature, and commanding an extensive view, is on the NE border. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £218. Patron, Wingfield, Esq. The church is a good brick building, with a wooden tower; and contains several monumental tablets. Charities, £20.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Leighton. A parish in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 75 houses, 375 inhabitants. 3 ½ miles north of Wenlock.

Near the village of Leighton, nine miles south-east of Shrewsbury, is the seat of Thomas Kynnersley, Esq., an indefatigable and persevering magistrate. – The house is a respectable brick building, situated in a fertile valley, watered by the Severn, and has a charming prospect over a rich and highly cultivated country.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Garmston

Gregory Shropshire Gazetteer 1824

Gamiston or Garmiston. A township in the parish of Leighton, and in the Wellington division of the hundred of Bradford, South. 9 miles south-east of Shrewsbury.

Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824

Parish Registers

Leighton Parish Registers 1661-1812 – Archive.org

Administration

  • County: Shropshire
  • Civil Registration District: Atcham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Wellington
  • Poor Law Union: Atcham
  • Hundred: South Bradford
  • Province: Canterbury