Old Newton Suffolk Family History Guide



Old Newton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Suffolk. Gipping is a chapelry of Old Newton.

Other places in the parish include: Dagworth.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1653

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Old Newton

  • Stowmarket
  • Haughley
  • Finningham
  • Cotton
  • Gipping
  • Bacton
  • Stowupland

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

NEWTON (Old), a village and a parish in Stow district, Suffolk. The village stands 2 miles NNE of Stow-market r. station; and has a post-office under Stow-market. The parish includes also the hamlet of Dagworth contiguous to the village; and comprises 2,348 acres. Real property, £4,692. Pop., 718. Houses, 146. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to G. Tomline, Esq. Dagworth Hall was the seat of Margaret Pole, Countess of Salisbury, who was executed in the time of Henry VIII.; figures picturesquely at the village; and is now a farm-house. Linen-weaving is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £230. Patron, the Church Patronage Society. The church is Tudor, in tolerable condition; and has a tower. There are between 4 and 5 acres of town land.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Adams Edward, Old Newton, late Broome, Suffolk, coal dealer, May 1, 1838.

Administration

  • County: Suffolk
  • Civil Registration District: Stow
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury
  • Diocese: Norwich
  • Rural Deanery: Stow
  • Poor Law Union: Stow
  • Hundred: Stow
  • Province: Canterbury