Bristol St George is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1756 from part of Bristol St Philip and St Jacob Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Bristol St Mary Fishponds.
Parish church: St George
Parish registers begin: 1759; Separate registers exist for Bristol St Mary Fishponds: 1836
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist Association, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform. The following non-Church of England denominations were located somewhere in Bristol, but the exact parish has not been identified: Calvinistic Methodist, Christians, French Protestant, Jewish, Moravian/United Brethren, Presbyterian, Society of Friends/Quaker, Swedenborgian/New Jerusalem/New Church, and Unitarian.
Parishes adjacent to Bristol St. George
- Barton Hill St Luke
- Bristol Holy Trinity
- Two Mile Hill
- Easton St Mark
- Brislington St Luke
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GEORGE (St.), a parish and a sub-district in Clifton district, Gloucester. The parish lies on the river Avon, near the West Midland and the Great Western railways, 2 miles E of Bristol; contains the hamlets of Easton, Two-Mill-Hill, and Whitehall; and has a post office under Bristol. Acres, 1,831. Real property, £22,419, of which £2,210 are in mines, and £103 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 8,905; in 1861, 10,276. Houses, 2,120. The property is much subdivided. A considerable extent of land is disposed in market-gardens. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £530. Patron, the Rev. T. N. Grigg. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower. The vicarages of Lower Easton and Two-mile-Hill are separate benefices. There are five dissenting chapels, four public schools, a school-charity with £36, and other charities with £26. The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
George, St. co. Gloucester.
P. T. Bristol (114) 2m. E. Pop. 5334.
A parish in the hundred of Barton Regis; living, a vicarage in the archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Bristol; valued in K. B. 7l. 5s. 7½d.; patron; (1829) H. Llewellen, Esq. The church is a spacious and plain modern building, with a large square tower, seventy-two feet high. In the neighbourhood is a small dwelling-house, formerly a Roman Catholic chapel it is still called St. Anthony’s chapel.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Clifton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Bristol
- Poor Law Union: Clifton
- Hundred: Barton Regis
- Province: Canterbury