Icomb, or Iccomb, is a township, parish and small village, partly in the county of Gloucester and partly in that of Worcester, distant 3 miles south-east from Stow-on-the-Wold, 8 north-west from Burford, and 3 south-west from Adlestrop station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railway, in Slaughter Hundred, Stow-on-the-Wold Union, East Gloucestershire, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. The church is an old and interesting building of stone, with beautiful chancel, and chiefly in the early English style; it contains an interesting tomb and some monuments to the Cope family. The living is a rectory, worth £130 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Worcester; the Rev. John Harward, M.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. William G. Clarke, M.A., curate. There is a village school for the children. There is an old manorial mansion of considerable interest, which formerly belonged to the Cope family; it bears marks of having been of considerable importance, but has been allowed to fall into much decay. The soil is stone brash and clay. The Rev. John Hopton is lord of the manor, and, with C. Van Notten Pole, Esq., owner of the soil. There are charities of £30 per annum, divided between this and the neighbouring parish of Stow-on-the-Wold. The population, in 1851, was 140, and the acreage is 1,156, divided into the hamlet of Iccomb with 440 acres and 9 inhabitants, and that of Church Iccomb, formerly in Worcestershire, with 530 acres and 131 inhabitants. These two portions are separately rated.

GENTRY

Clarke Rev. William G., M.A. (Curate)

Taylor Misses

Cambray Joseph, farmer

Hambidge Leonard, farmer

Newman David, tailor

Sturch Perrin, farmer

West Thomas, farmer

Letters are received through Stow-on-the-Wold, which is the nearest money order office.

Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.