Icomb, or Iccomb, is a parish and small village, distant 2 miles south-east from Stow-on-the-Wold station, a branch of the West Midland railway, 8 north-west from Burford, and 78 from London, in Slaughter hundred, Stow-on-the-Wold union and county court district, East Gloucestershire, rural deanery of Stow, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. The church of St. Mary is an old stone building, chiefly in the Early English style; it contains a beautiful chancel, tomb, and some monuments to the Cope family. The register dates from 1545. The living is a rectory, value £130 yearly, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Worcester; the Rev. S. Meyrick Higgins, M.A., is the rector. There is a village school for the children. There is an old manorial mansion of considerable interest, which formerly belonged to the Cope family; it bears marks of having been of considerable importance, but has been allowed to fall much into decay. The soil is stone brash and clay. The Rev. John Hopton (who is lord of the manor), and C. Van Notten Pole, Esq., are owners of the soil. There are charities of £30 per annum, divided between this and the neighbouring parish of Stow-on-the-Wold. The population in 1861 was 164; the acreage is 1,156, divided into the hamlet of Iccomb with 440 acres and 12 inhabitants, and that of Church Iccomb, formerly in Worcestershire, with 530 acres and 152 inhabitants; these two portions are separately rated.
Parish Clerk, Joseph Mason.
Higgins Rev. S. Meyrick, M.A. [rector]
Cambray Joseph, farmer
Edgington Thomas, farmer
Hambidge Leonard, farmer
Herbert — , farmer
Newman David, tailor
West Thomas, farmer
Letters through Stow-on-the-Wold, which is the nearest money order office
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.