Hartpury, Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Hartpury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1571
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Hartpury
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HARTPURY, a village and a parish in Newent district, Gloucestershire. The village stands near the river Leadon, and the Hereford and Gloucester canal, 5 miles NW of Gloucester r. station; was formerly called Hardeper and Hardepery; and has a post office under Gloucester. The parish comprises 3,618 acres. Real property, £6,580. Pop., 843. Houses, 163. The property is divided among a few. Hartpury House is the seat of Gordon Canning, Esq. Rich meadows lie along the Leadon; are subject to frequent inundations; and, in 1863, were about to be improved at a cost of £8,000. Orchards, for yielding cider and perry, are considerable; and bricks are made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £235. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church consists of nave and chancel, with western tower; and is in good condition. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, and charities £56.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Hartpury, 3½ m. N.W. Gloucester. P. 877
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
The following newspapers cover the area.
Research Guide: Historical Research Using British Newspapers by Denise Bates
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Newent
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Newent
- Hundred: Dudstone and King’s Barton
- Province: Canterbury