Hanham is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1841 from chapelry in Bitton Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1584
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, General Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Hanham
- Two Mile Hill
- Brislington St Luke
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HANHAM, a hamlet and a chapelry in Bitton parish, Gloucester. The hamlet lies on the river Avon, at the boundary with Somerset, 1 mile NW of Keynsham r. station, and 5 ESE of Bristol; and has a post office under Bristol. The chapelry was reconstituted, with altered limits, in 1844. Acres, within the original limits, 1,212. Real property, £3,706; of which £127 are in quarries. Pop., 1,224. Houses, 255. Rated property within the new limits, £3,229. Pop., 1,271. Houses, 267. The property is subdivided. The quarries are numerous; and what they furnish is paving stone for Bath and Bristol. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Christchurch, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £131. Patron, the Vicar of Bitton. There are two churches Hanham-Abbotts and Christchurch and a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The register of Hanham and Oldland, Gloucestershire. 1584-1681
Author: Hanham, England (Parish); Fry, Edw. Alex. (Edward Alexander); Carlyon-Britton, P. W. P. (Philip William Poole), b. 1863; Bitton, England (Parish); Oldland, England (Parish)
Publisher: [Exeter, W. Pollard & company, limited, printers
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Keynsham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
- Poor Law Union: Keynsham
- Hundred: Langley and Swinehead
- Province: Canterbury