Prestbury Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Prestbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Noverton and the Pittville pump-room, gardens, and drives
Parish registers begin: 1633
Parishes adjacent to Prestbury
- Charlton Kings
- Cheltenham St Peter
- Bishop’s Cleeve
- Cheltenham St Paul
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PRESTBURY, a village and a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester. The village stands under the Cotswolds, 2 miles NE of Cheltenham r. station; was once a market-town; suffered great devastation by fire in the time of Henry VII.; and has a post-office under Cheltenham. The parish contains also the hamlet of Noverton and the Pittville pump-room, gardens, and drives. Acres, 3,022. Real property, £11,423. Pop., 1,297. Houses, 268. The landed property is divided chiefly among four. Prestbury House is the seat of Capel, Esq.; the Priory, of the Rev. J. Edwards; and there are other good residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £234. Patron, the Rev. J. Edwards. The church is old but good; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower; and contains several fine mural monuments. There are a national school, an alms-house for ten persons, and charities £30. F. Philipps the antiquary was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Marriages at Prestbury 1633 to 1837
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol XV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
Note. – The Registers of Prestbury begin in 1633, and prior to 1837 are contained in four volumes.
Volume I, bound in smooth brown leather, is written on parchment leaves, and contains the Baptisms, Marriages and Burials down to 1754. The Marriages from 1633 to 1662 are together in consecutive order, but from 1663 to 1699 they are included amongst the Baptisms and Burials. The Weddings from 1700 to 1754 are also in this same Volume but are entered at the end of it, the book being reversed.
Volume II is the usual book of printed forms, bound in vellum, and contains the Marriages from 1754 to 1784.
Volume III is of similar character, but bound in leather, and contains the Marriages from 1785 to 1812.
Volume IV, a parchment bound book, contains the Marriages from 1813 to 1837.
These extracts have been made by the Rev. H. Urling Smith, Vicar of Prestbury, and are now printed under his supervision.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cheltenham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Cheltenham
- Hundred: Deerhurst
- Province: Canterbury