Westbury-on-Trym, Gloucestershire Family History Guide



Westbury-on-Trym is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Redland is a chapelry of Westbury-on-Trym.

Alternative names: Westbury upon Trym, Westbury-on-Trim

Other places in the parish include: Stoke Bishop.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1559

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Roman Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.

Parishes adjacent to Westbury-on-Trym

Historical Descriptions

Westbury-on-Trym

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WESTBURY-ON-TRYM, a village and a parish in Clifton district, Gloucester. The village stands 1¾ mile W of Ashley-Hill r. station, and 3¼ NNW of Bristol; and has a post-office under Bristol, reading rooms, and a police station. The parish includes Stoke-Bishop and Shirehampton tythings; and comprises 5,236 acres of land, and 220 of water. Real property, £52,486; of which £268 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 6,728: in 1861, 8,329. Houses, 1,409. The increase of pop. arose mainly from residence of many principal merchants and manufacturers of Bristol. The property is much subdivided. Cote House, Cote Lodge, Cote Bank, Eastfield, Southmead, Northcote, the Priory, Holmwood, Burfield, Springfield, Henleaze, and others are chief residences. A monastery was founded here in 824; was refounded, as a cell to Worcester priory, in 1290; was re-refounded, as a college, in 1443; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir R. Sadler; and was burnt by the royalists in the civil wars of Charles I. The living is a vicarage, with Redland chapelry, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £630. Patrons, alternately W. H. Wharton, Esq., and Trustees. The church is very good; and there are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a convent, national schools, and charities £194. The p. curacies of Stoke-Bishop and Shirehampton are separate benefices.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Westbury-on-Trim, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Henbury, union of Clifton, county of Gloucester; 3 miles north-west of Bristol. It contains the chapelry of Shirehampton and the tything of Bishop’s-Stoke. Living, a perpetual curacy within the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Bristol, a peculiar of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £13 16s.; nett value £630. Patron, in 1841, Rev, C Vivian. The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship here. — “A monastery here is mentioned in the acts of the synod of Clovesho, a.d. 824, which, with several lands hereabouts, was given by Ethelric, son of Ethelmund, after the death of his mother, to Worcester. But Oswald, bishop of that see, in the year 983, replaced the monks, who being partly removed to Ramsey, and partly driven away by the wars, this religious house was, in the year 1093, re-edified to the honour of the blessed Virgin, the old possessions were recovered, new were added, and the monks restored by Wulstan, bishop of Worcester, who made it a cell to the priory of Worcester; but his successor. Bishop Sampson, in the reign of Henry I., revoked the said grants, and removed the monks. From which time, nothing occurs of any religious house in this place, till about the year 1288, when Godfrey Giffard, bishop of Worcester, endeavoured to make several churches in these parts of the patronage of the see of Worcester, prebendal to this of Westbury, which, after great opposition from the prior and convent of Worcester, he effected, and here became a college for a dean and canons, (in the gift of the bishop of Worcester,) dedicated to the Holy Trinity, which was afterward augmented by the benefactions of John Carpenter, bishop of Worcester, who sometimes styled himself bishop of Westbury, Richard, duke of York, King Edward IV., Sir William Cannings, Knt., (who was after wards dean here,) and others, so as to be valued, in the 26th year of Henry VIII., at £232 14s., and was granted, 35th Henry VIII., to Sir Ralph Sadler.” Tanner’s Not. Mon. Acres 4,610. Houses 734. A.P. £7,605. Pop. of the whole parish, in 1831, 4,263; of the parish, exclusive of the chapelry and tything, in 1801, 678; in 1831, 1,515. Poor rates, in 1838, £1,168 19s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Westbury-upon-Trym, 2 miles N. Bristol. P. 5029

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Stoke Bishop

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Stoke-Bishop’s, a tything in the parish of Westbury-upon-Trim, county of Gloucester; 2½ miles north-north-west of Bristol. Here is a place of worship for Independents. Houses 370. Pop., in 1801, 1,293; in 1831, 2,328. Other returns with the parish.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

England’s Gazetteer 1752

Stoke-Bishops, (Gloc.) near Bristol, in the p. of Westbury, was so called, because at the conquest it was held by the Bp. of Constance, or Coutance, in Normandy. Here was the seat of the late Sir Robt. Canne

Source: England’s Gazetteer; Stephen Whatley; 1752.

Poor Book

Page 312 313 and 314 Westbury-on-Trym, Stoke Bishop and Shirehampton Poor Book

Page 315 and 316 Westbury-on-Trym, Stoke Bishop and Shirehampton Poor Book

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Clifton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Bristol
  • Poor Law Union: Clifton
  • Hundred: Henbury
  • Province: Canterbury