Aston Blank, frequently called Cold Aston, is a township, parish, and small village, distant 4 miles north-west from Northleach, 6 south-west from Stow-on-the-Wold, and 9 from the Adlestrop station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railway, in Bradley Hundred, Northleach Union, East Gloucestershire, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated about 1 mile west from the old Roman fossway. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient stone building in the Norman and perpendicular styles, with a well-proportioned tower containing 5 bells. The living is a vicarage, worth £186 yearly, with residence and 112 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. Thomas Townsend, B.A., is the incumbent. There is a village school, with an endowment of £5 per annum for the education of ten poor children. The population, in 1851, was 310, and the acreage is 2,250. The soil is stone brash. Henry Thomas Hope, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. There are charities of about £30 yearly value, viz., 30 acres of land, the rent of which is expended in coals for the poor.
Acock Arthur, auctioneer, & agent to the Norwich Union fire & life, & the General Hail Storm assurance
Acock Joseph, farmer
Avery Joseph, ‘Keeper’s Arms,’ & baker
Barton Charles, farmer, Aston farm
Barton Robert, farmer
Johnsons Benjamin, farmer
Lodge Charles, farmer
Packer Job, shopkeeper & beer retailer
Packer Thomas, wheelwright
Packer Wm. wheelwright & postmaster
Powell Nicholas, farmer
Smith Hibson, butcher
Post Office. – William Packer, postmaster. Letters from Northleach arrive at 10 a.m.; dispatched at 2 p.m. Northleach is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.