Temple Guiting Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Temple Guiting is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Temple Guyting, Guiting Temple, Guyting Temple, or Upper Guyting
The parish includes also the hamlets of Ford, Kineton, and Barton, and part of the township of Pinnock and Hyde.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1647
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Temple Guiting
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Guyting Temple, or Upper Guyting, a village and a parish in Winchcomb district, Gloucester. The village stands among the Cotswolds, 6 miles E by S of Winchcomb, and 6 W by N of Stow-on-the-Wold r. station. The parish includes also the hamlets of Ford, Kineton, and Barton, and part of the township of Pinnock and Hyde. Post town, Lower Guyting, under Cheltenham. Acres, 6,180. Real property, £4,898. Pop., 584. Houses, 120. The manor belongs to Corpus Christi college, Cambridge, and is leased by the Misses Talbot. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £94. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church consists of nave and chancel, with embattled tower. Charities, £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Guyting-Temple, or Upper Guyting, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Kiftsgate, union of Winchcombe, county of Gloucester; 4 ¾ miles east of Winchcombe. Living, a perpetual curacy, formerly in the arcbd. and dio. ot Gloucester, now in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; valued at £20, returned at £80; gross income £94. Patrons, the dean and canons of Christ’s-church, Oxford. Here are 4 daily schools. Charities, in 1821, £8 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £212 3s. Acres 6,180. Houses 110. A. P. £4,479. Pop., in 1801, 301; in 1831, 520.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Guyting, Temple (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Winchcomb, Lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Winchcomb; containing 523 inhabitants, and comprising 5700a. 3r. 20p. Stone is quarried chiefly for building purposes. There was a fulling-mill in the parish in the reign of Edward III, which is said to have been the first established in the county after the introduction of the cloth manufacture. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £94; patrons and appropriators, Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1804; there are 16 acres of glebe, and 12 acres in the parish of Chipping-Norton, purchased by grants from Queen Anne’s Bounty, with a parsonage-house in good repair. The church, a small handsome edifice, with a fine lofty embattled tower at the west end, was probably built by the Knights Templars, who possessed the manor in the thirteenth century, and is in a state of preservation remarkable for its age. Schools on the national plan are partly supported by subscription.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Marriages at Temple Guiting 1676 to 1771
The Marriages following are contained, mixed up with Baptisms and Burials, in a parchment volume, 13 inches by 6 inches, containing 62 pages. The Volume is in fair condition, a little faded and damp stained in places.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Winchcomb
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Stow
- Poor Law Union: Winchcombe
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury