Tewkesbury Holy Trinity Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Tewkesbury Holy Trinity is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1849 from Tewkesbury Ancient Parish.

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Parish church: Holy Trinity

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1562
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1570

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Tewkesbury Holy Trinity

Historical Descriptions

In 1837 a new church was built in Oldbury Road and consecrated as HOLY TRINITY church. The town council opposed the formation of a new ecclesiastical parish in 1849, and Holy Trinity parish was separated from the parish of the abbey church only in 1893. The living, a perpetual curacy that continued to be so styled in the mid-20th century, which was worth £320 in 1870 and £804 net in 1961, was in the gift of trustees. From 1840 until after the First World War there were assistant curates, whose salaries were met partly from two charities, producing c. £65 a year, given for that purpose, by John Terrett, by will dated 1852, and by Michael Cray Smart, by will dated 1899. A Scheme of 1932 diverted Terrett’s charity to the upkeep of the church, which also benefited from smaller yearly sums under the wills of Louisa Ruddle, dated 1910, and John William Creese, proved 1950. The church is a tall brick building in the style of the 15th century; it was designed by Ebenezer Trotman, whose father, Daniel, was Baptist minister of Tewkesbury. It has no tower or spire, and comprises a long nave, a short sanctuary, and a west end formed by a tall arch rising between two turrets and above a narthex, with a two-tiered gallery on the inside. The church acquired a new organ, by Nicholson of Worcester, in 1846, and was reseated in 1884. The one bell, by T. Mears of Gloucester, dated 1835, was replaced by a 20th-century carillon.1

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
  • Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury
  • Hundred: Tewkesbury Borough
  • Province: Canterbury

  1. ‘The borough of Tewkesbury: Churches’, in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 8, ed. C R Elrington (London, 1968), pp. 154-165. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol8/pp154-165 [accessed 22 September 2018].