Leigh is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Evington.
Parish registers begin: 1560
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Leigh
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LEIGH, a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester; on the river Severn and the Comb canal, 4½ miles SSW of Tewkesbury r. station, and 5½ NW by W of Cheltenham. It contains the hamlet of Evington; and its post town is Cheltenham. Acres, 1,720. Rated property, £3,201. Pop., 428. Houses, 91. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the dean and chapter of Westminster. Leigh Villa is the seat of W. Hill, Esq., and commands a fine view. Much of the land is subject to frequent inundations. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £250. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church consists of nave, small cross aisle, and chancel, with an embattled tower; and is good. There are a national school, and charities about £40.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Leigh with Evington, 4½ miles S. Tewkesbury. P. 489
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Leigh Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Leigh, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Gloucester (104) 6m. NNE. Pop. with Evington, 340.
A parish in the lower division of the hundred of Deerhurst; living, a dis. vicarage and a peculiar of Deerhurst, in the diocese of Gloucester; valued in K. B. 7l. 16s. 3d.; church ded. to St. James; patron, the Lord Chancellor. The river Severn and the Comb Canal pass through this parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury
- Hundred: Deerhurst; Westminster (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury