Leonard Stanley, Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Leonard Stanley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Downton, Lorridge Farm, and Lorridge.
Alternative names: Stanley St. Leonards
Parish registers begin: 1570
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Leonard Stanley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LEONARD-STANLEY, or STANLEY-ST. LEONARDS, a village and a parish in Stroud district, Gloucester. The village stands 1 mile E by S of Frocester r. station, 1½ S by E of Stonehouse r. station, and 3½ SW by W of Stroud; was once a market-town; was nearly all destroyed by fire in 1686; and has a post office under Stonehouse, and a fair on 20 July. The parish contains also the hamlet of Downton, and includes the detached tract of Lorridge. Acres, 1,070. Real property, £4,188; of which £655 are in railways. Pop., 864. Houses, 193. The manor belonged at Domesday to Richard de Berkeley; and belongs now to Mrs. P. Jones. Townsend House is the residence of – Minchin, Esq.; and the Priory is occupied by John Townsend, Esq. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Gloucester abbey, was founded here, in 1146, by one of the Berkeleys; was given, at the dissolution, to the Kingstons; and has left some fragmentary remains. Sandford’s knoll commands an extensive and beautiful view. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £220. Patron, Mrs. P. Jones. The church is Norman and cruciform; is said to have belonged to the priory; has a low massive tower, of interesting character; and contains monuments of the Sandfords, and of the last prior Croose. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £30.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Leonard Stanley 1570-1812
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stroud
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Stroud
- Hundred: Whitstone (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury