Uley Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Uley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St Giles
Parish registers begin: 1668
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Uley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Uley, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Dursley district, Gloucester. The village stands among the Cotswold hills, 2 miles ENE of Dursley r. station; and has a post-office under Dursley. The parish comprises 1,492 acres. Real property, £4,160. Pop., 1,230. Houses, 308. Stouts Hill, Angerton-Grange, Uley House, Uley Lodge, Rockstowes House, and Bencombe House, are chief residences. U. Bury was a Roman camp, and has yielded many Roman coins. West hill is crowned by a Roman tumulus. Woollen-cloth manufacture was, at one time, largely carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £250. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is recent. There are Independent and Baptist chapels, a national school, and charities £9.—The sub-district contains four parishes. Acres, 6,147. Pop., 2,471. Houses, 611.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848
Uley, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Berkeley, union of Dursley, Gloucestershire; 2¼ miles east by north of Dursley. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £12 3s. 4d.; gross income £311; nett income £157. Patron, the Lord-chancellor. Here are an Independent church, formed in 1791; and places of worship for the Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists. There are an infant-school, and six daily schools, besides several Sunday schools, in this parish. In 1838, there were 2 woollen mills in this parish, employing 62 hands; but the manufacturing trade of this place, which was very great last century, has quite fallen off, and large bodies of the weavers have emigrated to America and Australia. Acres 1,360. Houses 526. A. P. £4,472. Pop., in 1801, 1,724; in 1831, 2,641. Poor rates, in 1838, £1,076 1s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848
Marriages at Uley 1668-1812
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Dursley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Dursley
- Poor Law Union: Dursley
- Hundred: Berkeley (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury