Kingscote, Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Kingscote is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created early from chapelry in Beverston Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1651
Parishes adjacent to Kingscote
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KINGSCOTE, a village and a parish in Tetbury district, Gloucester. The village stands among the Cotswolds, 5 miles NW by W of Tetbury, and 7½ NE of Charfield r. station: and has a post office under Wotton under-Edge. The parish comprises 1,810 acres. Real property, £2,338. Pop., 311. Houses, 65. The property is divided among a few. The manor was known at Domesday as Chingescote; belonged to the Fitzhardinges; passed to the Kingscotes; and, with Kingscote Hall and much of the land, belongs now to Col. Kingscote. Roman coins, pavements, and other relics have been found. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Beverstone, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is early English; was repaired and enlarged in 1851; and consists of nave, N transept, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are a national school, and charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Kingscote, co. Gloucester.
P.T. Tetbury (99) 5 m. NW b W. Pop. 266.
A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Berkeley; living, a curacy, subordinate to the rectory of Beverstone, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, not in charge; church ded. to St. John the Evangelist; patronage with Beverstone rectory.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Marriages at Kingscote 1652 to 1812
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol VIII. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tetbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Dursley
- Poor Law Union: Tetbury
- Hundred: Berkeley (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury