Bulley is a chapelry of Churcham Ancient Parish in Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin: 1673
Parishes adjacent to Bulley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BULLEY, a parish in Westbury-on-Severn district, Gloucestershire; 2 miles NW of Okle-street r. station, and 5 WNW of Gloucester. Post Town, Huntley, under Gloucester. Acres, 951. Real property, £1,855. Pop., 226. Houses, 47. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy annexed to the vicarage of Churcham, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church has Norman parts.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Bulley, a parish in the division of the duchy of Lancaster, county of Gloucester; 4½ miles south-south-east of Newent. Living, a curacy annexed to Churcham vicarage. There is a daily school in this parish. Pop., in 1801, 176; in 1831, 216. Houses 43. Acres 780. A. P. £828. Poor rates, in 1837, £122
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bulley, 4m. N.W. Gloucester. P. 229
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Bulley (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Westbury, hundred of the duchy of Lancaster, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 5 1/4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Newent; containing 229 inhabitants. This parish is of great antiquity, and the manor is noticed in the Domesday survey, under the name of Buttelege: it comprises about 500 acres, of which the greater portion is good arable land, and the remainder indifferent pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Churcham. The church is a small structure, in the Norman style, with a low spire, and consists only of a nave, at the east end of which is a beautiful Norman arch, that led into the chancel, now destroyed; there is also a similar arch at the south entrance.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Bulley, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Newent (112) 4½ m. SSE. Pop. 237.
A parish in the division of the Duchy of Lancaster; living, a curacy to the vicarage of Churcham, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, not in charge; patronage with Churcham vicarage
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Westbury on Severn
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Hereford, Post-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Westbury on Severn
- Hundred: Duchy of Lancaster
- Province: Canterbury