Last Updated on
Bromsberrow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Bromesberrow, Bromsborough, anciently Brunmeberge
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Bromsberrow
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BROMSBORROW, a parish in Newent district, Gloucester; on the verge of the county, 4 miles SE of Ledbury r. station. Post Town, Ledbury. Acres, 1,803. Real property, £3,206. Pop., 305. Houses, 51. The property is divided among a few. Bromsborrow Place belonged to the Yateses, and passed to the Ricardos. Bromsborrow Heath is a meet for the Ledbury hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £339. Patron, Earl Beauchamp. The church is ancient and excellent; and has monuments of the Yateses. Charities, £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bromsberrow, 2 m. S.E. Ledbury. P. 283
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Bromsberrow (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Newent, hundred of Botloe, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 4 miles (S. E.) from Ledbury; containing 283 inhabitants. This parish, which anciently formed part of Malvern chase, was, for many years, the property of the Yate family, from whom it was purchased by the late David Ricardo, Esq., and is now the property of his son, Osman Ricardo, Esq., lord of the manor; it comprises by computation 1630 acres, of which about 1000 are arable, 381 meadow and pasture, and 119 wood. The soil is rather of a sandy nature; the surface is strikingly varied, and the scenery, which is greatly enriched with wood, is highly picturesque. Keysend Hill, the last of the Malvern range, is within the parish, where stone is quarried for building, and for the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the King’s books at £7. 15.; patron, Earl Beauchamp: the tithes have been commuted for £350, and there is a good glebe-house, with a glebe of 55 acres. The church is an ancient edifice, with a low tower; adjoining the chancel is the mausoleum of the Yate family, built about a century since. A small school is supported by private charity.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Bromsborrow, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Ledbury (120) 3½ m. ESE. Pop. 335.
A parish in the hundred of Botloe; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; valued in K. B. 7l. 15s.; church ded. to St. Mary; patron (1829) the Earl Beauchamp
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Marriages at Bromesberrow 1558-1837
Note. – Volume I, a collection of parchment leaves of forty-one pages 11 1/8 in by 7 ½ in. It is in good condition, and has the original parchment outside leaf (not bound). First page (paper) contains an abstract of the Act for burying in Woollen, 1 Aug. 1678, and the first entry in woollen was 14th May 1679. On the other side is a lists of Briefs from 1681 – 1682, including one for the rebuilding of St. Paul’s which amounted to £50 10s., and a note of an Act of Parliament for granting to his Majesty certain rates, etc., on Marriages, Births, and Burials, graduated from a duke down to a parishioner. Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials are entered indiscriminately. It begins :- “Bromesberrowe – The Register booke of beginning the 22 day of Decr. 1558 A.D. and Elizabeth Dei gratia Angliae France at Hiberniae Regina fidei defensor ye primo.” On the last leaf is a list of the lands belonging to the parish A.D. 1684. The first marriage 1560, Roger Wadley and Elizabeth Webb. The last is Edward Crocker and Elizabeth Deveral, 21 Oct. 1747.
Volume II is a book of parchment leaves bound in leather, and contains entries from 1745 to 1813, but the records of Weddings cease in 1754.
Volume III is the book of printed forms, published in London 1754, for Banns and Marriages together. It contains twenty-four folios of paper, but only one hundred and nineteen entries.
Volume IV is also of printed forms and contains the Weddings from 1813 to 1837.
It will be seen that in several cases entries are out of order of date. These extracts were made by the Rev. W. Wynn Lloyd, and are now printed under his supervision.
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by the late W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., and Thomas M. Blagg, F.S.A., Vol XVII. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., Ltd., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1914.
Family History Links
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Newent
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Hereford, Post-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Newent
- Hundred: Botloe
- Province: Canterbury