Boxwell with Leighterton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Leighterton.
Parish registers begin: 1548
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Boxwell with Leighterton
- Newington Bagpath
- Sherston Magna with Sherston Parva
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOXWELL-WITH-LEIGHTERTON, a parish in Tetbury district, Gloucester; on the Cotswolds, 4½ miles ESE of Wotton-under-Edge, and 6½ E of Charfield r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Leighterton, under Wotton-under-Edge. Acres, 2,266. Real property, £2,693. Pop, 255. Houses, 56. The property is divided among a few. Boxwell Court is the seat of the Rev. R. W. Huntley. About 45 acres are covered with box-trees. An ancient nunnery stood at Boxwell; and is said to have been destroyed by the Danes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £350. Patron, the Rev. R. W. Huntley. The church is ancient, and has a very ancient font. There is also a very ancient chapel at Leighterton.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Boxwell with Leighterton, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Grombald’s Ash, union of Tetbury, county of Gloucester; 4 miles east by south of Wotton-under-Edge. Living, a rectory with the curacy of Leighterton, in the archd. of Bristol, and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; valued at £23 4s. 9½d.; gross income £350. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. R. W. Huntley. This parish possesses a daily school and two Sunday schools. “There were nunnes,” says Lelaud, “at Boxwell, 2 miles from Wotton-under-Edge, destroied, as sum say, by the Danes. It longid now to the abbey of Glocester.” Pop., in 1801, 217; in 1831, 297. Houses 64. Acres 2,210. A. P. £2,295. Poor rates, in 1837, £65.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Boxwell with Leighterton, 2 m. W. Tetbury. P. 334.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Leighterton, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Tetbury.(99) 4½ m. WSW. Pop. with Pa.
A tithing and chapelry in the parish of Boxwell and upper division of Grombald’s Ash; living, a curacy subordinate to the rectory of Boxwell, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, not in charge; patronage with Boxwell rectory.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
England’s Gazetteer 1752
Bokwell, (Gloc.) 3 m. E. from Wotton-under-Edge, in the great road from Gloucester to Bath, is a p. 7 m. in compass, which takes its name from a box-wood, and a well, or spring in it, which runs into the Avon. The manor was held by St. Peter’s-abby in Glocestershire from the R. of William I. to Henry VIII. Sir Walter Raleigh had part of it after the ref. but it has been for these last hundred years almost in the family of the Huntleys, originally of Monmouthshire.
Source: England’s Gazetteer; Stephen Whatley; 1752.
Marriages at Boxwell and Leighterton 1572 to 1812
Note. – Until recent years, i.e., sometime in the last century, Marriages were celebrated only in the Mother Church of Boxwell. They are now celebrated almost exclusively at Leighterton, as nearly all the houses in Boxwell, except the Court, have been demolished. The parish of Boxwell, with the Chapelry of Leighterton, has now a joint Register, but it is not certain that such was always the case, for two Register books, covering in part the same period, are in existence, which are marked below as “Register A” and “Register B”. There is only one Register, marked “C”, for the period 1754 to 1812.
Register A contains entries of Marriages from 1572 to 1745; it is on parchment leaves, measuring 9 ½ in. by 6 in., and is enclosed in a loose vellum cover. The writing is fairly legible, and it is in sound condition.
Register B is a similar volume, measuring 12 in. by 4 in., extending over the period 1597 to 1754. The writing is similar to the last, and it is in fair condition.
Register C is the only one for the period 1754 to 1812. It is one of the usual volumes of printed forms on paper. It measures 10 in. by 15 in., and is bound in leather, it is in sound condition.
There is much confusion in the way the entries are made, many of them being out of chronological order.
These extracts have been made by the Rev. J. Nowill Bromehead, rector of Beverstone, and the Rev. H. C. Frere, rector of Boxwell with Leighterton, by whose permission they are now printed.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tetbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
- Poor Law Union: Tetbury
- Hundred: Grumbald’s Ash
- Province: Canterbury