Coleford Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Coleford is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1782 from chapelry in Newland Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1768
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Coleford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COLEFORD, a small town, a tything, a chapelry, and a sub-district in the district of Monmouth and county of Gloucester. The town stands on the line of the Coleford, Monmouth, Usk, and Pontypool railway, in Dean forest, near Offa’s dyke and the river Wye, 4 miles ESE of Monmouth. It consists chiefly of one main street; does a large trade in mineral productions; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling place; and has a head post office, a market-house, and four places of worship. A market is held weekly; and fairs on 20 June and 5 Dec. The environs are picturesque; and one spot was the scene of a skirmish in 1643. The tything includes the town; and is in Newland parish. Pop., 2,600. Houses, 538. The chapelry includes most of the tything. Pop., 2,376. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £150. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was rebuilt in the time of Anne, on the site of a previous one destroyed in the civil war; and has a tower. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans. The sub-district contains two parishes, West Dean township, and four tythings of Newland. Acres, 22,672. Pop., 13,964. Houses, 2,814
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Coleford, 8 m. S.W. Mitchel-Dean, and 21 miles W. Gloucester. Mrkt. Fri. P. 2208
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Monmouth
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Hereford, Post-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Monmouth
- Hundred: St Briavels
- Province: Canterbury