Last Updated on
Compton Greenfield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1583
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Compton Greenfield
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COMPTON-GREENFIELD, a parish in Clifton district, Gloucester; on the Bristol and South Wales Union railway, near the estuary of the Severn, 6 miles NNW of Bristol. Post town, Almondsbury, under Bristol. Acres, 650. Real property, £3,720. Pop., 52. Houses, 8. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £144. Patron, R. Lippincott, Esq. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1852; and is in the early English style; but has a fine Norman doorway, and an ancient, embattled, ivy-clad tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Compton-Greenfield, 5 miles N. Bristol. P. 65
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Compton-Greenfield, a parish, in the union of Clifton, Upper division of the hundred of Henbury, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 6 1/4 miles (N. by W.) from Bristol; containing 65 inhabitants. It comprises 650a. 2r. 37p., of which 39 1/2 acres are arable, and 610 pasture : the navigable river Severn flows on the western side. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King’s books at £7, and in the gift of Caius Lippencot, Esq. : the tithes have been commuted for £140, and the glebe contains 50 acres, to which there is a glebe-house.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Clifton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Bristol
- Poor Law Union: Clifton
- Hundred: Henbury
- Province: Canterbury