English Bicknor, Gloucestershire Family History Guide

English Bicknor is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Mailscot and New Weir.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1561

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to English Bicknor

  • Coleford
  • Staunton
  • Dean Forest Christ Church
  • Ruardean
  • Whitchurch
  • Goodrich
  • Welsh Bicknor
  • Newland
  • Dixton Newton

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BICKNOR (English), a parish in the district of Monmouth and county of Gloucester; on the verge of the county, at the river Wye, 3½ miles N of Coleford, and 6½ SW of Mitcheldean Road r. station. It includes two places, called Mailscot and New Weir, formerly extra-parochial; and its Post Town is Coleford. Acres, 2,377. Real property, £3,280. Pop., 592. Houses, 125. The property is divided among a few. Bicknor Court, the seat of Col. Woosnam, stands on a cliff overhanging the Wye, and commands a fine view. Much of the land is disposed in cyder-orchards and in meadows. Coal, ironstone, and limestone are worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £300. Patron, Queen’s College, Oxford. The church stands within the fossé of an ancient fortification; and is good. Charities, £5.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bicknor (English), a parish in the hund. of St Briavells, union of Monmouth, county of Gloucester; 3 miles north of Colford, on the eastern bank of the Wye. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; valued at £13 6s. 8d.; gross income £300; in the patronage of the provost and fellows of Queen’s college, Oxford. The church stands within tbe fosse of an ancient fortification, and beyond it is a jutting promontory round which the river winds romantically. There is a daily school here. Charities connected with the parish produce £10 17s. per annum. This vicinity is remarkable for fine orchards and meadow lands, and a considerable quantity of cider is made. Pop., in 1801, 464; in 1831, 598. Houses 117. Acres 2,440. A.P. £2,081. Poor rates, in 1837, £179.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Bicknor-English, 5 miles S.W. Mitchel-Dean. P. 576

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Directories

English Bicknor Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Monmouth
  • Probate Court: Post-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Hereford
  • Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Forest
  • Poor Law Union: Monmouth
  • Hundred: St Briavels
  • Province: Canterbury