Last Updated on
Parish registers begin: 1853
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Roman Catholic.
Parishes adjacent to Dunston
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DUNSTON, a township-chapelry in Penkridge parish, Stafford; on the Grand Junction railway, near the Stafford and Worcester canal, 2¼ miles N by E of Penkridge. It has a post office under Stafford. Pop., 275. Houses, 58. The property is not much divided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £67. Patron, Lord Hatherton. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Dunston a township and chapelry in the parish of Penkridge, county of Stafford; 2½ miles north by east of Penkridge, near a branch of the Trent, intersected by the Birmingham and Liverpool railway. Living, a perpetual curacy in the dio. of Lichfield, a peculiar; gross income £67. Patron, in 1835, Lord Hatherton. “In a field close by the chapel,” observes Mr. Freeling, in his Railway Companion, “there is an extraordinary echo, which returns seven or eight syllables distinctly.” Acres 1,480. Houses 50. A.P. £1,624. Pop., in 1801, 208; in 1831. 272. Poor rates, in 1837, £96.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Family History Links
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Penkridge
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Penkridge
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Penkridge
- Poor Law Union: Penkridge
- Hundred: East Cuttlestone
- Province: Canterbury