Last Updated on

Dilhorne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1559

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Dilhorne

  • Forsbrook
  • Cheadle
  • Caverswall
  • Cheddleton

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

DILHORNE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Cheadle district, Stafford. The village stands near the sources of the river Tean, 2 miles WNW of Cheadle, and 3 N of Blyth-Bridge r. station. The parish includes also the township of Forsbrook; and its post town is Cheadle, under Stafford. Acres, 3,648. Real property, £7,975; of which £500 are in mines. Pop., 1,573. Houses, 336. The property is much subdivided. Dilhorne Hall is the seat of the Butlers. Much of the land was formerly heath, but has been reclaimed and planted. Coal, of good quality, is found. The parish is a meet for the North Stafford hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £198. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. The church has a Norman octagonal steeple, and is good. The vicarage of Forsbrook is a separate benefice. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Blythmarsh school has £22 from endowment; Wheatacre’s school, originally founded in the time of Henry VIII. as a free grammar-school, has £261; and other charities have £9. The sub-district contains three parishes. Acres, 12,638. Pop., 5,070. Houses, 1,034.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Family History Links

FamilySearch Historical Records

Administration

  • County: Staffordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Cheadle
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Cheadle
  • Poor Law Union: Cheadle
  • Hundred: North Totmonslow
  • Province: Canterbury