Last Updated on
Elford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.
Parish registers begin: 1558
Parishes adjacent to Elford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ELFORD, a parish in Lichfield district, Stafford; on the river Tame, and on the verge of the county, adjacent to the Derby and Birmingham railway, 4½ miles ENE of Lichfield. It has a post office under Tamworth, and a station, jointly with Haselour, on the railway. Acres, 2,070. Real property, £5,210. Pop., 461. Houses, 108. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, before the Conquest, to Earl Algar; passed to the Crown; went to successively the Ardernes, the Stanleys, and others; and belongs now to the Howards. Elford Park is the seat of the Howards; was a frequent resort of Edward IV. for hunting; and gave lodging, for a night, to Henry VII., when on his way to Bosworth. The grounds connected with it contain two barrows. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300. Patrons, the Heirs of the late Col. Howard. The church is ancient; was restored in 1849; and has effigies of the Ardernes, the Stanleys, and the Smiths. Charities, £30.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Staffordshire
- Civil Registration District: Lichfield
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Tamworth
- Poor Law Union: Lichfield
- Hundred: South Offlow
- Province: Canterbury