Last Updated on

Ellastone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.

Other places in the parish include: Calwich, Calwick, Prestwood, Wootton near Ashborne, Stanton, Wootton, and Ramshorn.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1538

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Ellastone

Historical Descriptions

Ellastone

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ELLASTONE, a village, a township, and a parish in the district of Ashborne, and county of Stafford. The village stands about a mile from the river Dove, 2 miles NW of Norbury r. station, and 5 SW by W of Ashborne; has a post office under Ashborne; and is a seat of petty sessions. The township includes the village. Real property, £5,868. Pop., 384. Houses, 72. The parish includes also the townships of Calwich, Prestwood, Wootton, Ramshorn, and Stanton. Acres, 7,970. Real property, £9,925. Pop., 1,230. Houses, 239. The property is divided among a few. An ancient camp occurs at Weaver Hill; and ancient coins have been found there. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Stanton, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £154. Patron, W. D. Bromley, Esq. The church is ancient, with a tower; has monuments of the Fleetwoods; and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. Charities, £5. Archbishop Sheldon was a native.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Ellastone, a parish in the south division of the hund. of Totmonslow, county of Stafford; 4½ miles south-west by west of Ashbourne; comprising the townships of Calwick, Prestwood, Ramshorn, Stanton, and Wootton. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Stafford and dio. of Lichfield; rated at £4 9s. 2d.; gross income £154. Patron, in 1835, D. Davenport. Here are 5 daily schools, and a day and Sunday National school. Charities, in 1824, £3 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £514 18s. The village is of considerable extent, and is pleasantly situated about a mile north-west of the river Dove. The petty-sessions for the south division of the hund. are held here. Acres 7,970. Houses 243. A.P. £9,161. Pop., in 1801, 1,109; in 1831, 1,344.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Ramshorn

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Ramshorn, a township in Ellastone parish, county of Stafford; 5½ miles east-north-east of Cheadle. Here is a day and Sunday school. Acreage with the parish. Houses 21. A.P. £857. Pop., in 1821, 152; in 1831, 130. Poor rates, in 1838, £76 3s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Administration

  • County: Staffordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ashbourne
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Uttoxeter
  • Poor Law Union: Ashbourne
  • Hundred: South Totmonslow
  • Province: Canterbury