Rock (with the Hamlet of Heightington) Billings Directory 1855



Rock is an extensive and straggling parish, very hilly, and the scenery around romantic and beautiful. It is situated about 8 miles E.N.E. from Tenbury, 6 W. of Stourport, and 4 ¾ S.W.W. from Bewdley. Rock, with Heightington, contained, in 1841, a population of 1397, and in 1851, 1435.

Heightington, a small Hamlet to Rock, 4 miles S.W. from Bewdley, consists principally of farm houses.

The Church, which is by far the most stately-looking of the village churches in this portion of the country, is dedicated to St. Peter, and contains nave, chancel, south aisle, and western square embattled tower, containing a peal of six bells. The north wall, chancel arch, &c., are fine specimens of the Norman style of architecture, though Nash supposes it to have been Saxon, from the fact of a priest having been here at the time of the Doomsday Survey. The south side of the building and the tower were reconstructed in the perpendicular style in 1510, by one of the Coningsby family. The north doorway is a very good specimen of the Norman era. The chancel arch is semicircular, magnificent and lofty, the mouldings, &c., being of the same character as those of the north doorway. The nave is separated from the south aisle by four plate pointed arches, and the chancel from its chapel by two of a still more flattened character. The south aisle has an embattled top, and two stage buttresses between the windows. There is an ancient chest in the south chapel, made out of the trunk of a tree; it is of a square shape, and has four locks; it is very much worm-eaten, and is supposed to be as ancient as the oldest portion of the church. The tower is also embattled, and has four stages with diagonal buttresses. The font, which is a large circular basin, appears to be of about the same date. The monuments of this church are but few, and not of any note, except in the chancel, where there is an alabaster imitation of a brass of the sixteenth century, with an outline of a priest vested for the altar, and an inscription to “Ricardus Smith, quondam rector hujus ecclesiae.” The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of J. M. Severne, Esq. Rev. Arthur Severne, M.A., Rector; Mr. Richard Stokes, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.

Heightington Chapel, dedicated to St. Giles, is a small, ancient building, containing nave, chancel, &c. The living is annexed to that of Rock. Rev. Hugh C. Claughton, B.A., Curate; Mr. Thomas Badland, Clerk. Service – 3 p.m.

The Far Forest District Church, recently erected, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a neat brick building, in the Gothic style of architecture. This portion of the parish, and part of Ribbesford, in Bewdley Forest, were a few years back formed into an ecclesiastical district.

At Buckeridge are two places of worship, one for Baptists, the other for Primitive Methodists; and at Callow Hill there is a Wesleyan Chapel.

The School, near the Church, was originally founded for a free grammar school, by Edward VI., and subsequently endowed with £100 by J. Nott, Esq., and £200 by the late W. Green, Esq., of Astley.

Rock Almshouses, for six poor widows of the parish, of good character, were founded by the Rev. George Walls, D.D., and endowed with £20 per annum.

Charities – The charities are but few, Mrs. Elizabeth Walls gave the sum of £5; Mrs. Mary Cary, £5; Rev. J. Baylston, Rector, £10; and Mr. Richard Nott, of Worsley, £1 – which sums are annually distributed amongst the poor of the parish.

DIRECTORY

Cawood Rev. John, M.A., Incumbent of Pensax

Claughton Rev. Hugh Calveley, B.A., Curate, Gaudy House

Minton Miss Ann, Rock House

Severne Rev. Arthur, M.A., Rector, Rectory

Wheeler Mr. John, Bower Batch

Allen Benjamin, victualler, Finger Post

Alltree Sarah, beer retailer, Blue Ball

Ashcroft John, beer retailer, The Rock Cross

Ashmore Thomas, farmer, and drill proprietor, Lower Norchard

Badland Thomas, Clerk of Heightington Chapel

Blount William, whisket and basket maker

Bradley Edwin, wheelwright

Breckwell Emmanuel, farmer, Clay Brook

Brown Benjamin, wheelwright

Browning Isaac, farmer, Lane End

Butcher William, farmer, Gib House

Carter Thomas, brick and tile manufacturer, Clowstop

Cartwright Thomas, farmer

Cook Moses, beer retailer, Royal Oak

Cownley William, sen., farmer

Cownley William, jun., farmer, Fernhalls

Davis Charlotte, victualler, Duke William

Davis Mary, farmer, and coal merchant, Blakemore

Davis William, farmer, Bine

Dorrell Edward, farmer, Field House

Dorrell James, farmer, Conningswick

Dorrell James, farmer, Wylde

Edwards Joseph, farmer, White House; also of Hockly, Pensax

Edwards Thomas, farmer, Yard House

Evans John, farmer, Lem Hill House

Green Thomas, butcher

Green William, farmer, Holton Lodge

Griffin Sarah, farmer, Green House

Hammonds John, farmer, The Pound

Hancox Mary, shopkeeper, and beer retailer, New Inn, Clowstop

Haycox John, farmer, Bransley

Humphries Hannah, farmer, Stildon; also of Newland, Mamble

Instone John, beer retailer

Jones Thomas, farmer, The Hill

Jordan John, farmer, Lower Hollin

Knowles John, blacksmith

Lingen Charles, farmer, Palmer’s

Lingen Francis, farmer, Bower Court; also of the Goddest

Machin Thomas, blacksmith

Mantle Benjamin, farmer, Lem Hill

Mantle William, farmer, Upper Hollin

Maund William, mason

Mills William, farmer, The Chapel

Milman William, shopkeeper

Minton John, farmer, Rock Farm

Nott James, farmer, Castle, Old House, and Bank

Oliver Moses, beer retailer, Wheat Sheaf

Perkins John, beer retailer, Plough

Potter James, victualler, and farmer, Mopson’s Cross

Pratt William, farmer, Upper Norchard

Ree Edward, farmer, Old Hall

Rogers Frederick T., farmer, Moor Green

Seager Benjamin, farmer, Barn Hall, and Foxley’s

Skeldon George, farmer, Moor Green

Spencer Thomas, farmer and miller, Worrall’s Mill

Stokes Richard, Parish Clerk

Tunnington William, farmer, Gorst Hill

Tyler William, beer retailer

Wainwright John, farmer, Bullockhurst; also of Barratt’s, and Burraston Mill

Waldron Thomas, farmer, Hurtle Hill

Walker Sarah, farmer, Lower Snead

Walker Thomas, farmer, Upper Snead

Wall Sarah, day school

Wheeler Thomas, farmer, Worsley; also of the Hazle

White Thomas, farmer

Williams Wm., farmer, Fir Tree Farm

Worrall William, farmer, Old Lye

HEIGHTINGTON

Booth Thomas, blacksmith

Collier John, farmer, Falklands

Davis Edward, farmer, Organ’s Hill

Green James, beer retailer and shopkeeper, Three Tuns

Loveland Henry, wheelwright and carpenter

Mills Charles, farmer, Elfords

Mills Henry, farmer, Deasland

Waldron Benson, farmer, Wad House; and Latchetts

Wheeler William, farmer, Herdsmans; also of Lystill and Brook Hall

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855.