Longdon is a very extensive parish, situate about 3½ miles from Upton-upon-Severn, and containing, according to the census of 1851, 577 inhabitants.
The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small, ancient edifice, having a massive square tower, with pinnacles at the corners, and high spire. It is in the mixed style of architecture, but without anything worthy of note. The living is a Vicarage, with Castle Morton and Chaseley, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. Rev. Charles Crewe, Vicar; Rev. Thomas A. Pope, Curate; Mr. Joseph Smith, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., summer; 2 20 p.m., winter.
The School was founded and endowed with land by Giles Godwin, Esq., about the year 1660, for the instruction of poor children of the parish. The school-house, as well as the residence for the master, has been recently rebuilt. Mr. Owen Ockenden, Master; Elizabeth Ockenden, Mistress. Average number of scholars, 64.
The Charities of the parish are few in number, and do not require particularising.
Crewe Rev. Charles, Vicar, Vicarage
Pope Rev. Thomas A., Curate
Stone E. G., Esq., Magistrate, Chamber Court
White Mr. William, Weypools
Beale William, butcher
Bellamy John, farmer
Best Charles, farmer, White House
Bomford James, farmer, Piper’s End
Brewer James, farmer, Long Green
Brewer William, farmer, Hill House
Ellis John, farmer
Flowers William, victualler, Plough
Green Henry, beer retailer and shopkeeper, Swan, Long Green
Higgins Robert, farmer
Hodges Charles, farmer, New House
Jenkins William, shopkeeper
Kent Chesseldine, liquormerchant; house, Longdon Lodge
Lord Richard, farmer, Hill End Bank
Morris John, farmer, Witchfield
Need Thomas, farmer
Newman Joseph, Long Green
Peart John, farmer, Robert’s End
Phillips Thomas, victualler, New Inn, Long Green
Pinson Charles, farmer, Red House
Powell John, carpenter
Rayer John, farmer, Hillworth
Rayer Thomas, farmer, Hill Court
Ryland William, shopkeeper, and Sub-Postmaster
Smith Joseph, tailor, and Parish Clerk
Summerfield William, blacksmith
Post Office – William Ryland, Sub-Postmaster. Delivery, 9 30 a.m.; despatch, 4 40 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855