Longdon, Worcestershire Family History Guide



Longdon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Castlemorton is a chapelry of Longdon.

Other places in the parish include: Eastington, Ham Common, Long Green, Hillworth, and Hill-end.

Parish church: St Mary

Parish registers begin: 1538

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Longdon

Historical Descriptions of Longdon

Longdon

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LONGDON, a village and a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester. The village stands 2 miles W of the Severn, 2½ SSW of Upton r. station, and 4 NW of Tewkesbury; and has a post office under Tewkesbury. The parish contains also the hamlets of Hillworth, Hillend, Eastington, Long Green, and Ham Common. Acres, 3,903. Real property, £6,418. Pop., 626. Houses, 131. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. Chamber’s Court is the seat of E. G. Stone, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Castle-Morton, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £550. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is a brick structure, in mixed style, and in good condition; and has a stone tower and spire. There are a national school with £30 from endowment, and other charities £50.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Longdon – a parish in the hundred of Pershore, lower division, 3 miles S.S.W. from Upton-on-Severn, and 107 from London; containing 117 inhabited houses. The church is a neat building, and has lately been repaired at a considerable expense; adjoining the church-yard is a free school for all the children in the parish; likewise a new school-house, on Dr Bell’s plan, has lately been built at the expense of the vicar, who also provides a teacher. The living is a vicarage, with the chapels of Castle-Morton and Chasely annexed; the Rev. Charles Crew, incumbent; instituted 1815; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 533 – 1811, 550 – 1821, 788.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Eastington

Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Eastington, a hamlet in Longdon parish, Worcester; 3¼ miles SSW of Upton-on-Severn.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

Ham Common

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Ham Common, a hamlet in Longdon parish, Worcester; 3 miles SW of Upton-on-Severn.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Directories

Online Directories

Bentley’s Directory of Longdon 1840 – Archive.org

Directory Transcriptions

Longdon Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855

Longdon Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Holdfast and Eastington Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Photographs

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Powyke
  • Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn
  • Hundred: Pershore
  • Province: Canterbury