Overbury Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855 (with Conderton, and Chapelry of Teddington)

Overbury is a very pretty village and parish, situate about 5½ miles from Tewkesbury, containing in 1851 a population of 525 inhabitants.

Overbury is very pleasantly situated, on the south side of Bredon Hill; the land in the neighbourhood is very fertile. There are several silk factories here, the principal of which is carried on by Mr. Peter Dormay, who employs a great number of hands.

Conderton is a small village and hamlet, in the parish of Overbury, from which place it is distant about one mile. The population at the last census was 178.

Teddington is a small village and Chapelry, in the parish of Overbury, distant from Tewkesbury about 5 miles, and 2¼ from the Ashchurch station. The population in 1851 was 135.

The Church at Overbury, dedicated to St. Faith, is a very old stone structure, with square embattled tower, containing five good bells. The building is partly in the early English, and partly in the pointed style, the chancel containing some very good specimens of both. The living is a Discharged Vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Rev. William Smith, Vicar; Rev. Ferdinand William Becker, Curate; Mr. George Mann, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 15 p.m.

There is a small Chapel of Ease at Teddington, dedicated to St. Nicholas. It is a very old edifice, in the early English style of architecture, with square turreted tower. Rev. William Smith, Incumbent; Rev. William Falkner, Curate; Mr. B. Wellard, Clerk. Service – 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.

There is a small Wesleyan Chapel at Overbury. No stated minister. Service – 6 30 p.m.

There is a small Parochial School at Overbury, supported by contributions and the children’s payments. Mr George Mann, master. Average number of scholars, 45.


Berkeley Captain Robt., Esq., Magistrate, Overbury Court

Berkeley Mrs. Elizabeth

Eyston Ferdinand, Esq., Magistrate

Martin Mr. Joseph

Stoner Mrs. Mary

Whitcombe Mrs. Mary

Whitcombe The Misses

Ancill Charles, stonemason and shopkeeper

Ancill John, victualler, Star

Ancill William, painter and plumber

Barnett Thomas, farmer

Berkeley Maria Ann, shopkeeper

Berkeley William, farmer

Dormay Peter, silk throwster

Dutfield James, farmer

Harris Thomas, boot and shoe maker

Hooke John, carpenter

Hooke Joseph W., cabinet maker and carpenter

Martin John, Surgeon

Mann George, Parish Clerk, and Registrar of Birth and Deaths

Newland John, draper and shopkeeper

Roberts James, farmer; and at Kinsham

Sheen William, draper, grocer, and Sub-Postmaster

Smith William, blacksmith

Stallard Charles, silk throwster and miller

Stanley William, stone mason

Talmash Thomas, tailor and draper

Taylor James, miller and baker, Overbury Mill

Teale James, tailor

Yeend William, farmer


Attwood William, farmer

Barnett William, shopkeeper

Baylis John, carpenter

Cook John, solicitor and farmer, Conderton House

Darke Thomas, shopkeeper

Kearsey John R., farmer

Lane William, shoe maker

Nott John, farmer

Nott William, farmer

Smith Job, blacksmith

Spiers Isaac, wheelwright

Surman John, farmer and cattle dealer


Attwood Edmund, farmer, Vine Tree

Badham George, farmer; house, Beckford

Chandler Hannah, farmer

Creese Mary, farmer, High House Dance John, victualler, Teddington Hands

Hawkes John, farmer

New Edmund C., farmer, Church Field

Roberts Henry, farmer, Manor Farm

Vernon William, blacksmith

Post Office, Overbury – William Sheen, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 10 30a.m.; despatch, 4 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.