Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Giles
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1691
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1615
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Little Malvern
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MALVERN (LITTLE), a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester; under the Malvern hills, 1 mile S of Malvern Wells r. station, and 4½ ENE of Ledbury. Post town, Malvern Wells, Worcestershire. Acres, 943. Real property, £927. Pop., 104. Houses, 20. The manor, with Little Malvern Court, belongs to M. Berington, Esq. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Worcester abbey, was founded here in 1171, by two brothers, Joceline and Edred, who were the first and the second priors; and, at the dissolution, it had a prior and seven monks. An ancient camp is in the S. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £44. Patron, Earl Somers. The church consists of the chancel and tower of the ancient priory church; is in good condition; and recently underwent interior repair. The other parts of the old priory buildings are in ruin. A Roman Catholic chapel, in lieu of a previous one, was built in 1862; is a handsome stone edifice, in the pointed style; wants a nave, intended to be hereafter added; and has schools attached to it.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Malvern (Little) – a parish, 3 miles distant from Great Malvern, in the lower division of Oswaldslow; containing only 12 inhabited houses. It was formerly a considerable village. The church is in a very dilapidated state: it is a perpetual curacy; the Rev. Rice Jefferys, incumbent; patroness, Mrs. Wakeman. Population, 1801, 34 – 1811, 34 – 1821, 67.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Universal British Directory 1791
Little Malvern is a retired romantic spot, lying on the east side of the hill, and running up to its summit, where is a supposed Roman camp, with a treble ditch. Within a musket-shot of the trenches of the camp, in the parish of Colwal, in Herefordshire, was found, in 1650, a coronet or bracelet of gold, set with precious stones, by one Taylor, as he was digging, who sold it to a goldsmith at Gloucester for 37l the goldsmith sold it to a jeweller in London for 250l and afterwards the jeweller sold the stones for 1500l. Among some paintings in the church is that of Edward IV.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Civil Registration District: Upton upon Severn
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Powyke
Poor Law Union: Upton upon Severn