Grimley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire. Hallow is a chapelry of Grimley.
Other places in the parish include: Moseley and Sinton.
The earliest register is dated 1573
Church: St. Bartholomew
Parishes adjacent to Grimley
Historical Descriptions of Grimley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GRIMLEY, a parish in Martley district, Worcestershire; on the river Severn, 4 miles NNW of Worcester r. station. It has a post office under Worcester. Acres, 2,459. Real property, £5,097. Pop., 776. Houses, 188. The property is much subdivided. Thorngrove Hall and Sinton Court are chief residences; and the former, for several years prior to 1814, was occupied by Lucien Buonaparte. The living is a vicarage, united with Hallow chapelry and Christ’s chapel, Broadheath, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £541. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church has a Norman doorway; is partly early English, partly perpendicular; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and contains some ancient monuments. There are a national school, and charities, £196. Bishop Hooper was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Grimley, a parish in the lower division of the hund, of Oswaldslow, union of Martley, county of Worcester; 4¼ miles north-north-west of Worcester, and west of the Severn. Living, a vicarage, with the curacy of Hallow, in the archd, and dio. of Worcester; rated at £14 0s. 10d.; gross income £599. Patron, the bishop of Worcester. Here in the chapelry of Hallow is a free school, endowed with about £60 per annum. In Grimley there is a daily school, endowed with £7 per annum. Other charities, in 1830, £135 5s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £201 12s. Acres 2,230. Houses 148. A.P. £3,802. Pop., in 1801, 543; in 1831, 711.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Grimley – a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 5 miles N. from Worcester, and 117 from London; containing 130 inhabited houses. The living is a vicarage, with Hallow chapel annexed; Rev. Thomas H. Lowe, incumbent; instituted 1820; patron, the Bishop of Worcester. Population, 1801, 543 – 1811, 675 – 1821, 666.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Universal British Directory 1791
Grimley, about five miles north-west from Worcester, is a large parish, having many hop-plantations, a spacious wood called Monk’s Wood, of about 146 acres; and fruit-trees in abundance. In this parish is Thorngrove-house, the seat of W. Cross, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. Grimley is on the banks of the Severn, on the opposite side to where the canal from Droitwich empties itself into that river. In this parish is Hallow-park, formerly the residence of Reginald Lygon, Esq. but now of Joseph Berwick, Esq. beautifully situated on an eminence, commanding an extensive view of the surrounding country. In the park a spring had lately been discovered, whose waters, having been analized, prove to be equal in virtue to that at Cheltenham. This parish is about six miles in circuit, and is a chapelry to Grimley; the architecture of its chapel shews it to have been built by the Saxons.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Martley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: West Worcester
- Poor Law Union: Martley
- Hundred: Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury
- County Court District: Worcester
- Petty Sessional Division: Worcester