Grimley Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855



Grimley is a small Parish, situate about 4 ½ miles from Worcester, on the West bank of the river Severn, and contained in 1851 a population of 762 inhabitants.

The Church consists of nave, chancel, and western tower, with embattlements and pinnacles. The interior has been repaired and fitted up in a very neat manner, and by the alteration at the tower end greater accommodation has been provided. The old peal of six bells has been re-hung. The whole expenses, amounting to about £500, have been defrayed by voluntary subscriptions. The living is a Vicarage, with the Curacy of Hallow, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. Rev. H. G. Pepys, B.A., Vicar; Rev. Robert Burr Bourne, M.A., Curate; Rev. Herbert Richard Peel, B.A., Assistant Curate; Mr. William Freeman, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.; winter months, 2 30 p.m.

The National School has a small endowment, and is otherwise supported by subscription, and the children’s payments. Mr. William Milton, Master; Mrs. Sarah Milton, Mistress. Average number of scholars – boys, 39; girls, 37.

The Charities of Grimley consist of several sums of money for the purchase of clothing, bread, &c., to be given to the poor of the parish at various times of the year.

DIRECTORY

Baker Samuel, Esq., Thorngrove

Barber Mr. William, Elm Hill

Barber Mr. John, Elm Hill

Bourne Mrs. Mary, Moseley Bank

Francis Mr. Richard, The Retreat

Garmston John, Esq., Sinton Court

Lawrence Miss Ann

Walker Mr. Richard, Timberels

Amphlett Christiana, farmer, Northing Town

Barber Stephen, farmer, The Hill

Barnett Charles, shoe maker, Monkswood

Benbow John, sen., farmer, Noken

Benbow John, jun., beer retailer, New Inn

Bishop Thomas, farmer, White House, Monkswood

Bishop Samuel, farmer

Bishop James, tailor, Sinton Green

Bowyer James, brick and tile manufacturer, coal, timber, and hay merchant

Brasier George, farmer, The Retreat

Brasier John, saddle and harness maker, Sinton Green

Bullock James, victualler, miller, and farmer, Ball Mill Inn

Bullock Ann, blacksmith, Sinton Green

Burrow Thomas, shopkeeper, Monkswood

Clarke Thomas, surgeon

Collins Joseph, farmer, Grimley Farm

Ford Richard, shopkeeper, Monkswood

Freeman William, Parish Clerk and Sub-Postmaster

Gore James Henry, farmer, The Palace

Harbour John, farmer, Mosely

Hayward John, Wheelwright, carpenter, and farmer, Sinton Farm

Hodges Samuel, butcher and farmer

Jones Edward, farmer

Lamb Ann, shopkeeper

Lane Thomas, victualler, The Camp

Lowick Susan, farmer, Mosely

Mason Edward, shoe maker

Munn Harriet, farmer, Gumburn

Paine Philip, farmer, Mosely

Palmer William, farmer, Monkswood

Powick James, farmer, Church House

Pyner Thomas, shoe maker, Monkswood

Russell Richard, beer retailer, Fox, Monkswood

Taylor Thomas, mason

Thrupp James, farmer and dealer, Birchall; also of Monkswood

Thrupp Walter, farmer, The Pound, Sinton Green

Turner John, sen., farmer, Moorcroft

Turner, John, jun., farmer, Wellans

Turner Richard, shopkeeper

Ward Joseph, farmer, Elm Hill

Wilks Thomas, plumber and glazier, Sinton Green

Post Office – Mr. Wm. Freeman, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 10 a.m.; despatch, 4 45 p.m.

Carrier – To Worcester – Hill, Wednesday and Saturday, 8 30 a.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855