Hartlebury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
The parish contains also the hamlets of Upper Mitton, Crossway-Green, Norchard, Waresley, Chadwick, Titton, Lincomb, Charlton, Wilden, Torton, and Low Hill.
Parish church: St James
Parish registers begin: 1540
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Hartlebury
- Areley Kings
- Lower Mitton
- Elmley Lovett
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Hartlebury, a village and a parish in Droitwich district, Worcester. The village stands 1 mile W by N of the junction of the West Midland and Severn Valley railways, 1½ E of the river Severn, and 3¾ S by E of Kidderminster; and has a station at the railway junction, and a post office letter box under Kidderminster. The parish contains also the hamlets of Upper Mitton, Crossway-Green, Norchard, Waresley, Chadwick, Titton, Lincomb, Charlton, Wilden, Torton, and Low Hill. Acres, 5, 493. Real property, £14, 583. Pop. in 1851, 2, 047; in 1861, 2, 115. Houses, 452. The property is subdivided. The manor was given to the Bishops of Worcester by King Buhred. Hartlebury Castle, the seat of the bishops, was built, in the time of Henry III., by Bishop Cantelupe; was seized and destroyed, in 1646, by the parliamentarian force; was rebuilt, of brick, by Bishop Hough; and stands in a park to the W of the village. Ironworks are in Wilden hamlet, near the Worcester and Stafford canal. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £1, 765. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church was rebuilt in 1836; and is a handsome edifice in the Gothic style, with a tower. There are a recent Independent chapel, a free grammar school, founded in 1400, with endowed income of £467, and other charities with £67.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Hartlebury – an extensive parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 4 miles S.S.E. from Kidderminster, and 122 from London; containing 326 inhabited houses. Here is a free grammar school, with provision for 2 master. The church is an ancient Gothic edifice, with a modern tower. The living is a rectory; Rev. Samuel Picart, incumbent; instituted 1817; patron, the Bishop of Worcester. Population, 1801, 1534 – 1811, 1852 – 1821, 1676.
Hartlebury-Castle, for many centuries past the residence of the Bishops of Worcester. It was formerly surrounded by a moat and fortified. In 1644, the castle was taken by Colonel Morgan, and sold for about £3000, but at the restoration, it again became attached to the bishopric, when the principal part of the buildings were re-edified by Bishop Hough, and in later days by Bishop Hurd, who likewise added, for the use of the future prelates of this see [sic], a most valuable library.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Mitton, Upper, co. Worcester.
P. T. Kidderminster (126) 3½ m. SSW. Pop. 181.
A hamlet in the parish of Hartlebury and lower division of the hundred of Halfshire.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- Hartlebury Bennett’s Business Directory for Worcestershire, 1914
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Droitwich
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Rector of Hartlebury
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Kidderminster
- Poor Law Union: Droitwich
- Hundred: Halfshire; Oswaldslow
- Province: Canterbury