Hindlip or Hinlip (denominated in old writings Alcrington and Alfreton, but deriving its more modern from a hind-leap, or deer’s leap, which existed here when the forest of Feckenham extended to this place) is a pleasant parish, distant 4 miles N.E. of Worcester and 3 S.W. of Droitwich; is near the Fearnall Heath station on the West Midland section of the Great Western railway; is in the western division of the county and hundred of Lower Oswaldslow; in the union and parliamentary borough of Droitwich; in the county court district and petty sessional division of Worcester, and polling district of Claines; annual rateable value, £2,045; acreage, 1,054; population in 1861, 136; in 1871, 149; inhabited houses, 30; families or separate occupiers, 33. Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor and owner of the parish. The soil is chiefly strong clay and marl; chief crops, wheat, beans, barley, and roots. Hindlip is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Worcester East; living, a rectory, value £200, with residence; patron, Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P.; rector, Rev. John Stanley Chesshire, M.A., Oriel College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1873. The church of St. James is a small edifice, exhibiting traces of Norman architecture; the tower, which is at the west end, is Perpendicular, and a small portion of the nave walls dates from the same period. The building was restored in 1864, chiefly at the cost of Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P., when a new transeptal chapel was added on the south side for the accommodation of the Allsopp family; a vestry was added on the north side; west window, doorway, and font, all new. Six beautiful stained-glass windows, by Hardman & Co., of Birmingham, have been presented by H. Allsopp, Esq., M.P. The subjects of the east window are – left-hand light, “The Nativity,” with “The Annunciation” beneath; centre light, “The Crucifixion,” with “The Way of Sorrows”; right-hand light, “The Resurrection,” with “The Entombment.” The reredos is of Caen stone, also the gift of H. Allsopp, Esq., M.P.; subject, “The Last Supper”; sculptor, Mr. J. Roddis, of Birmingham. There is an interesting monument to John Habingdon, Esq., sometime lord of this manor, patron of the living, and founder of Hindlip house. There are also handsome monuments to Viscount and Lady Southwell. The registers commence with the year 1736. The national school for Hindlip parish is supported by H. Allsopp, Esq., M.P., by whom it was erected. It is situate in the adjoining parish of Claines. Hindlip Hall is the seat of Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P. for the eastern division of the county, and J.P. and D.L. for Worcestershire and Staffordshire. The mansion is beautifully situated on an eminence in a well-wooded park commanding extensive views of Malvern, the Abberley hills, and the surrounding country. It is a square building of light brick, in the Grecian style, in the front of which are four Ionic pillars supporting an entablature; there are two wings connected with the main building by crescent walls. The old house, which formerly stood on this site, was famous as the hiding-place of Garnett and Oldcorn, in connection with the Gunpowder Plot, and was curiously constructed with trap-doors and hiding-places for the Romish clergy. It was then the residence of Habingdon, who collected a mass of valuable information which subsequently formed the foundation of Nash’s “History of Worcestershire.”
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – Letters are received through Worcester. Fearnall Heath is the nearest money-order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. James’s). – Rev. John Stanley Chesshire, M.A., Rector; Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P., Churchwarden; Robert Sherwood, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls). – Mr. Joseph Davey, master; Mrs. Marianne Davey, Mistress.
Allsopp Henry, Esq., M.P. (for East Worcestershire), J.P., D.L., Hindlip hall; and 83 Eaton sq., London, S.W. Chesshire Rev. John Stanley, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Barker – , head gardener to Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P., Hindlip hall gardens
Davey Joseph, schoolmaster
Gerrard George, farmer, Offerton; and at Huddington farm
Phipps William, shopkeeper, beer retailer, and farmer, Pear-Tree Inn, Cold harbour
Riddell James, land steward to Henry Allsopp, Esq., M.P., Hindlip court farm
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.