Hinlip (Hindlip) Worcestershire Billings Directory 1855



Hinlip, or Hindlip, is a small parish, situated 4 miles N.N.E. from Worcester, and contained a population of 126 inhabitants in 1851.

The principal object worthy of notice in this parish is Hinlip House, the residence of the Right Hon. Lord Viscount Southwell, from which may be obtained some pleasing views of the surrounding scenery. The house is a modern square building, having two wings, connected by crescent walls, in the front of which are four pillars, supporting an entablature. The original building, which was taken down many years ago, was supposed to have been erected by John Habingdon, cofferer to Queen Elizabeth in the year 1572, and was peculiarly constructed, containing trap-door and secret rooms, built so as to have an external resemblance to chimneys. This was said to have been done by Thomas Habingdon, a son of John Habingdon, who harboured some of the conspirators in the Gunpowder Plot. For this he was condemned to die, but was pardoned through the intercession of his wife’s father. His wife is supposed to have written the letter that led to its discovery in order to save his life. He then retired to Hinlip, where he studied the antiquities of Worcestershire, and collected a mass of valuable information, which subsequently formed the foundation for Nash’s “History of Worcestershire.” He died in 1647.

The Church, dedicated to St. James, is a small, ancient pile, possessing little requiring description. It consists of nave, small chancel, and western embattled tower, with diagonal buttresses, the entrance being at the west end, under the tower. The chancel contains in the south wall an ancient piscina. The eastern chancel window and the north and south nave windows are the most ancient in style. In the chancel is a very curious memorial tablet to John Habingdon or Abington, Esq., some time lord of this manor, patron of this church, and founder of Hinlip House. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of Lord Viscount Southwell. Rev. Joseph Webster, M.A., Rector; John Harris, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., alternately.

DIRECTORY

Southwell The Right Hon. Viscount, Hinlip House

Webster Rev. Joseph, M.A., Rector, Rectory

Colley Joseph, farmer

Green James, farmer, Cummins Farm

Mantle James, farmer, Offerton

Gunning William, gardener and land steward to the Right Hon. Viscount Southwell

Smith James, farmer and butcher, The Court

Wilson John Joseph, farmer, Offerton Farm

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855