Bradley Littlebury’s Worcestershire Directory 1879

Bradley, formerly Stock and Bradley, a chapelry to Fladbury, but now a rectory of itself, is a parish 6 miles E. of Droitwich, 7 S. of Bromsgrove, 1 ½ S.W. of Feckenham, and 12 N.E. of Worcester; is on the eastern division of the county, Upper Halfshire hundred, Droitwich union, county court district, and petty sessional division, Upton Snodsbury highway district, Feckenham polling district and rural deanery, Worcester diocese and archdeaconry. The acreage is 1,142; annual rateable value, £2,434; population in 1861, 310; in 1871, 316; inhabited houses, 67. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and, with Harry Foley Vernon, Esq., are the chief landowners. The soil has been well drained and cultivated, and the chief crops are wheat and beans. Bradley was constituted a separate parish in 1863, when a new church was erected (at a cost of £1,500) in place of the dilapidated old chapel. It contains chancel, nave, north porch, and tower, with broach spire 90 feet from the ground, and is in the Early Decorated style of architecture, from the designs of W. J. Hopkins, Esq., of Worcester. The living is in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester, value £270 yearly; rector, the Rev. John Home, B.C.L., Corpus-Christi College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1863. There is a parochial school for boys and girls.

Postal Regulations. – Letters arrive from Redditch (via Feckenham) about 8.30 a.m.; despatched at 5 p.m. Feckenham is the nearest money-order and telegraph office. Post town, Redditch.

Parish Church (St. John the Baptist’s). – Rev. John Home, B.C.L., Rector; Messrs. J. A. Gould & Thomas Wilson, Churchwardens; William Badger, Parish Clerk.

School (boys and girls). – Mrs. Lomas, Mistress

Carrier to Worcester. – John Clarke, from Stock green, on Saturdays; Thomas Hunnybun, on Saturdays.


Gould Mr. John Alfred, Bradley

Home Rev. John, B.C.L. (rector), Rectory

Kendrick Mrs.


Ardin William, farmer, Stock green

Badger William, parish clerk

Bate Thomas, blacksmith, Stock green

Bloxham William, baker, Stock green

Bloxham William, farmer

Brazier George, farmer

Brown Mrs., farmer, Red House

Burbage Christopher, farmer & shopkpr.

Clarke John, cottage farmer and carrier to Worcester, Perry mill, Stock green

Court Richard, farmer

Edwards John, blacksmith

Ford John, farmer

Gilbert Thomas, farmer

Harber Joseph, beer retailer

Hicks William, Red Lion Inn, Bradley green

Huband Mrs. Jane, farmer

Humphreys John, blacksmith

Hunnybun Thos., carrier to Worcester

Kendrick Robert, farmer, Pigeon house

Laight Charles, farmer

Lomas Mrs., schoolmistress

Mason Thomas, beer retailer, Stock green

Molesworth Wm., carpenter & wheelwright

Parker Mrs., dressmaker

Reeve Robert, dealer, &c.

Roberts Mary, shopkeeper

Smith Richard, farmer

Smith Walter, shopkeeper

Turner John, farmer

Wilson Thomas, farmer, Church farm

Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.