Great Witley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Redmarley.
Parish church: St. Michael and All Angels
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Great Witley
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Witley, (Great) – a parish in the hundred of Doddingtree, lower division, 9 miles N.N.W. from Worcester, and 122 from London; containing 79 inhabited houses. The church is contiguous to the mansion-house of Lord Foley, from which there is an entrance out of the billiard room by a gallery, which is fitted up as a pew for the family. Over the fire place is a monumental tablet to the memory of Thomas Foley, Esq., who founded the charity school at Old-Swinford. This church is considered the most elegant of any one in the kingdom: the decorations were purchased at the sale at Canons, which took place after the death of the Duke of Chandos. The ceiling is a fine piece of workmanship, executed by Verrio, who painted the staircase at Windsor. The living is a rectory; Rev. W. A. Foley, incumbent; instituted 1820; patron, Lord Foley. Population, 1801, 425 – 1811, 414 – 1821, 354.
Witley Court, the seat of Lord Foley, stands at the foot of Woodbury-hill, in the midst of an extensive park, and consists of a centre and two projecting wings, built in a very superb and modern style of architecture, surrounded by young plantations judiciously arranged; it stands on the left of the road leading to Ludlow, 10 miles from Worcester.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.
Universal British Directory 1791
Whitley, nine miles from Worcester, on the Ludlow road, is the elegant seat of the Right Hon. Lord Foley; its beauties, although derived from the arrangements of splendour and taste, without many local aids, cannot fail to attract our admiration. In the village resides Mr. Mann, Surgeon and Apothecary. The church, the admiration of the country, curiously built by the first Lord Foley, is very completely finished. The windows were painted by Price, in 1719; the ceilings by Verrio, and designed for the chapel at Canons; but, when the misfortune befell the magnificent Duke of Chandos, they were purchased by the second Lord Foley, and fit this church as well as if they had been originally designed for it. It is impossible to describe all the beauties of it; the paintings being nearly equal, though on a smaller scale, to those are Greenwich Hospital. The mansion is a handsome white structure, in the front of which are his lordship’s arms, carved. The inside decorations particularly merit our regard; the collection includes several valuable curiosities. Before the mansion is a large serpentine river, with bridges, taking its rise from Abberley-hill; beside which is a large pool of water. The park has every variety which a champaign country will admit of. The lodge, on an eminence, commands fine prospects, forming a most delightful sylvan scene. In this parish is Woobury-hill, corresponding with Abberley-hill, which at a near view, seems much higher and loftier. About two miles from Whitley is the hundred-house, which divides the counties of Worcester and Salop, and where the justices for the county hold their meetings.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Martley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Worcester
- Poor Law Union: Martley
- Hundred: Doddingtree
- Province: Canterbury