Brimpsfield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Birdlip, Caudle Green, and Candle Green.
Parish registers begin: 1587
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Parishes adjacent to Brimpsfield
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRIMPSFIELD, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; on Ermine-street, 6½ miles S of Cheltenham r station. It includes the hamlets of Birdlip and Candle-Green; and has a post office under Stroud. Acres, 2,611. Real property, £3,239. Pop., 1,261. Houses, 276. The property is divided among a few. A castle belonging to the Giffards stood here, and was destroyed by Edward II. A Benedictine priory also was here, a cell to Fontenay Abbey in Normandy; and was given by Henry VI. to Eton college. The living is a rectory, united with Cranham, in the diocese of G. and Bristol.-Value, £410. Patron, J. Goodrich, Esq. The church is very good. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Brimpsfield, 6 miles N.E. Stroud. P. 417.
Source Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cirencester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Cirencester
- Hundred: Rapsgate
- Province: Canterbury