Last Updated on
Dorsington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1593
Parishes adjacent to Dorsington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DORSINGTON, a village and a parish in the district of Stratford-on-Avon, and county of Gloucester. The village stands near the river Avon, and near the boundary with Worcester and Warwick, 2¾ miles W of Milcote r. station, and 4½ SW of Stratford-on-Avon. It was nearly all burned in 1754. The parish comprises 910 acres. Post town, Long Marston, under Stratford-on-Avon. Real property, £1,282. Pop., 118. Houses, 25. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £199. Patron, J. Harward, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1758.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Dorsington (St. Peter), a parish in the union of Stratford-on-Avon, Upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester. 6 miles (S. W.) from Stratford; containing 141 inhabitants. The manor, which is of great antiquity, was held at the Domesday survey by Royer de Belmont, from whom it descended to his eldest son, afterwards Earl of Warwick. The parish comprises about 1200 acres, chiefly arable; the soil is stiff clay; the surface is generally level, and a spring of remarkably pure water, called Udwell, supplies the whole of the district. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £12. 19. 2.; net income, £199; patrons, E. H. Fielden and Wm. Lawrance, Esqrs. The tithes were commuted for land in 1776; the glebe comprises 230 aces, valued at £199 per annum. The church was burnt down in 1754 by an accidental fire, which also destroyed the greater part of the village, and was rebuilt of brick, with a small square tower: the chancel has a modern painted window, presented by the Rev. R. Lawrance, the rector, who has also repaired the glebe house.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Marriages at Dorsington 1602 to 1812
Note. – The first volume is of parchment, and contains the marriage entries (mixed) with baptisms and burials, from 1602 to 1754, and the second one, of paper, those from 1754 to 1812. These have been copied by the Rev. J. Harvey Bloom, by permission of the Rev. W. L. Smith, M.A., late Rector, and are now printed under his supervision.
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. III. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stratford on Avon
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Stratford on Avon
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury