Last Updated on
Chedworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1653
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Chedworth
- North Cerney
- Hampnett with Stowell
- Compton Abdale
- Coln St Dennis
- Coln Rogers
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Chedworth, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Northleach district, Gloucester. The village stands near the river Churn, 4 ½ miles SW of Northleach, and 6 ¾ N of Cirencester r. station; has a post-office under Cheltenham; and gave the title of Baron to the family of Howe. The parish comprises 4,689 acres. Real property, £5,604. Pop., 954. Houses, 220. The property is much subdivided. Part of the land is occupied by Chedworth wood. A barrow occurs on high ground; and a Roman bath was discovered in 1760. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £302. Patron, Queen’s College, Oxford. The church has a fine sculptured stone pulpit; and is good. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £41. —The sub-district contains sixteen parishes and a chapelry. Acres, 36,449. Pop., 5,253. Houses, 1,127.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Chedworth, a parish in the hund. of Rapsgate, union of Northleach, county of Gloucester; 4½ miles south-west of Northleach. Acres 4,890. Houses 223. Pop., in 1801, 848; in 1831, 1,026. A.P. £4,727. Poor rates, in 1837, £449. Charities, the church and poor’s lands; annual rent, in 1828, £26 13s. 2d.; other charities about £15. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Bristol and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £7 8s. 4d.; gross income £309. Patrons, the provost and fellows of Queen’s college, Oxford. The Independents have a place of worship here; the church was formed in 1750. From this parish the family of Howe took the title of Baron, which became extinct on the death of the late John, Lord Chedworth.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Chedworth, 5 m. N.E. Cirencester. P. 983
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Marriages at Chedworth 1653-1812
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Northleach
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Northleach
- Poor Law Union: Northleach
- Hundred: Rapsgate
- Province: Canterbury