Charlton Abbots is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Charlton-Abbotts
Parish registers begin: 1727
Parishes adjacent to Charlton Abbots
- Winchcombe with Gretton
- Bishop’s Cleeve
- Sudeley Manor
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Charlton-Abbotts, a parish, in the union of Winchcombe, Lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 3/4 miles (S. by E.) from Winchcombe; containing 101 inhabitants, and comprising 1374a. 2r. 25p. Stone of inferior quality is raised for the repair of roads. In a farm-house is an apartment called Queen Elizabeth’s Room, with a beautifully carved mantel-piece, above which are the initials E. R. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £38; patron, W. L. Lawrence, Esq. The church is a neat edifice, has been recently repewed. A school is supported by the patron.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Charlton-Abbots, 2 m. S. Winchcombe. P. 101
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Winchcomb
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Winchcombe
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury