Saintbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St Nicholas
Parish registers begin: 1561
Parishes adjacent to Saintbury
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SAINTBURY, a parish in the district of Evesham and county of Gloucester; 1½ mile N E by N of Broadway, and 3¾ S of Honeybourne r. station. Post-town, Broadway. Acres, 1,336. Real property, £2,288. Pop., 121. Houses, 27. The manor was anciently called Suineberie, after King Sweyne; and belongs now to Sir J. M. Steele-Grave, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese o Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £415. Patron, J. R. West, Esq. The church is good, and has a spire. Charities, £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Saintbury (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Evesham, Upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E division of the county of Gloucester, 2 ¼ miles (W) from Chipping-Campden; containing 133 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1336a. 22p.; the surface is diversified with hills; the soil in the lower grounds is a strong clay, and in the upper of lighter quality; in the valleys are some good meadows, and the remainder is productive arable land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £19. 9. 4½.; net income, £415; patron, J. R. West, Esq. The church has undergone various alterations, but there is still a Norman door remaining. Castle Bank, an ancient camp in the parish, is ascribed to the Danes, and supposed to have been dependent upon a larger one upon the summit of the same hill, in the adjoining parish of Willersey.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Marriages at Saintbury 1585 to 1812
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Evesham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Evesham
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury