Last Updated on
Stone, anciently a cbapelry in the parish of Berkeley, Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1594
Parishes near to Stone
- North Nibley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STONE, a chapelry in Berkeley parish, Gloucester; 4 miles SW by S of Berkeley-Road r. station. It has a post-office under Berkeley. Real property, £2,192. Pop., 277. Houses, 62. The manor belongs to Lord Fitzhardinge. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £80. Patron, the Vicar of Berkeley. The church is decorated English, and was recently repaired. Charities, £30.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Stone, 2 miles S. Berkeley. P. 296
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Stone, a cbapelry in the parish of Berkeley, union of Thornbury, county of Gloucester; 2¾ miles south of Berkeley. Living, a perpetual curacy, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; returned at £39 17s.; gross income £54. Patron, the vicar of Berkeley. Here are 2 daily schools. Acreage with the parish. Houses 139. A.P. £8,069. Pop., with the tything of Ham, in 1801, 835; in 1831, 903. Poor rates, in 1838, £445 12s
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Marriages at Stone 1594-1812
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Thornbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Dursley
- Poor Law Union: Thornbury
- Hundred: Berkeley (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury