Stapleton Gloucestershire Family History Guide



Stapleton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1720

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.

Parishes adjacent to Stapleton

  • Bristol St Werburgh
  • Stoke Gifford
  • Montpelier
  • Downend
  • Two Mile Hill
  • Frenchay
  • Easton St Mark
  • Bristol St George
  • Horfield

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

STAPLETON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Clifton district, Gloucester. The village stands midway between the Bristol and Gloucester and the Bristol and South Wales Union railways, 2 miles NE of Bristol; and has a post-office under Bristol. The parish comprises 2,554 acres. Real property, £11,914; of which £258 are in mines, and £155 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 4,840; in 1861, 5,355, of whom 515 were in Clifton workhouse, 845 in Bristol workhouse, and 154 in Bristol lunatic asylum. Houses, 796. There are numerous good residences. A pa1ace for the Bishops of Gloucester and Bristol was built in 1840, and is now a charity school for 120 boys. The living is a p. curacy, united with Fishponds chapelry, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £190. Patron, Sir J. H. G. Smyth, Bart. The church was built in 1856; and is in the decorated style, with tower and lofty spire. A section, with a pop. of 546, is in Easton chapelry. There are a diocesan training school, three national schools, and charities £69. Hannah More was a native. The sub-district contains four parishes. Acres, 8,819. Pop., 9,184. Houses, 1,653.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Stapleton, 3m. N.E. Bristol. P. 3944

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Clifton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Bristol
  • Poor Law Union: Clifton
  • Hundred: Barton Regis
  • Province: Canterbury