Natland is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Westmorland, created in 1746 from chapelry in Kendal Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Water Crook and Helm Lodge.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1777
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
Parishes adjacent to Natland
IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES CIRCA 1870
Natland, a village and a township-chapelry in Kendal parish, Westmoreland. The village stands adjacent to the Kendal and Lancaster canal and to the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, near the river Kent, ¾ of a mile SSW of Oxenholme r. station, and 2¼ S by E of Kendal. The chapelry includes the village, extends into the country, and contains the r. station. Real property, £2,029. Pop., 276. Houses, 49. Helm Lodge is a chief residence. Water-Crook, at a bend of the river Kent, was the site of the Roman station Galacum; and altars, coins, and other relics have been found. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £96. Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church was rebuilt in 1825, at a cost of £550; and has a tower. There is an endowed parochial school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Westmorland
- Civil Registration District: Kendal
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries – Kendal
- Diocese: Chester
- Rural Deanery: Kendal
- Poor Law Union: Kendal
- Hundred: Kendal
- Province: York