Edvin Ralph, Herefordshire Family History Guide



Edvin Ralph is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.

Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: Edwin Ralph, Edwin Ralph with Butterley, Edwyn Ralph

Other places in the parish: Butterley

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1651
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1624

Nonconformists include:

Boundary Changes:

  • 24 Mar 1884 Edvin Ralph was enlarged by gaining part of Wacton transferring Upper Horton Farm Houses in 1891.
  • 24 Mar 1884 Edvin Ralph was reduced to enlarge Wacton transferring Butterley Houses in 1891.

Parishes adjacent to Edvin Ralph

Historical Descriptions


The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

EDVIN-RALPH, a parish in Bromyard district, Hereford; 2 miles NNW of Bromyard town and r. station. Post town, Bromyard, under Worcester. Acres, 1,590. Real property, £1,759. Pop., 165. Houses, 31. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Collington, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £403. Patron, W. L. Childe, Esq. The church is ancient, cruciform, and good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Edwin-Ralph with Butterley. a parish in the hund. of Wolphy, union of Bromyard, county of Hereford; 2 miles north-north-west of Bromyard. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; rated at £6 6s. 10½d.; gross income £318. Patron, in 1835, W. Child, Esq. Charities, in 1836, about £8 12s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838. £118 11s. Acres 1,060. Houses 27. A.P. £1,556. Pop., in 1801, 150; in 1831, 170.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Edwin-Ralph with Butterley, 1 m. N. Bromyard. P. 166

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Edwin, Ralph, co. Hereford.

P. T. Bromyard (125) 2 m. N. Pop. with Butterley To. 157.

A parish in the hundred of Wolphy; living, a dis. rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford; valued in K. B. 6l. 6s. 10½d; patron (1829) — Robinson, Esq.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bromyard
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Frome
  • Poor Law Union: Bromyard
  • Hundred: Wolphy
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.