Last Updated on
Bridstow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire. The vilage and civil parish of Bridstow is south west of hereford.
Parish church: St Bridget
Parish registers begin: 1560
Parishes adjacent to Bridstow
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRIDSTOW, a parish in Ross district, Hereford; on the River Wye, adjacent to the Monmouth and Hereford railway, 1 mile W by N of Ross. Post Town, Ross. Acres, 2,199. Real property, £5,506. Pop., 717. Houses, 143. Wilton Castle here is an old seat of the Lords Grey de Wilton, burnt in the civil wars, and now an ivy-clad ruin. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £276. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Bridstow, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Wormelow, union of Ross, county of Hereford; 1 mile west-north-west of Ross, on the western bank of the river Wye. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Hereford; valued at £9 3s. 11½d., rated in the parliamentary returns at £55 17s. 6d.; gross income £302; in the patronage of the bishop of Hereford. There are two daily schools in this parish. In the vicinity is Wilton castle, now a picturesque ruin covered with ivy, but formerly the baronial residence of the lords Grey de Wilton. Pop., in 1801, 471; in 1831, 596. Houses 116. Acres 1,870. A. P. £4.141. Poor rates, in 1837 £326.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bridstow, 1 m. S.W. Ross. P. 625.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Ross
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Archenfield
- Poor Law Union: Ross
- Hundred: Wormelow
- Province: Canterbury